16v Mini Club Forums  

Go Back   16v Mini Club Forums > Builds > Other Mini Builds

Old 10-10-2019, 04:52 PM   #31
gonk43

Subframe: Allspeed
CC: 1.6
Make: Other
ECU: Honda 0BD1

mate, ran into same issue with my pickup.
Basically my engine, gearbox, steering, suspension was all different to the original car design.
You score 2 points for retained parts from mini, so mini suspension, steering, engine, gearbox.
8 points, keep original plate. Get 0, like in my case, IVA and Q plate.
I don`t mind at all, especially since my plate is Q997 OAS. The 997 bit is cool.
gonk43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 06:26 PM   #32
Ronski

Subframe: Other
CC: 1995

Nice plate, I've accepted it now, just one of those things, no doubt by the time mine is finished they would have changed the rules again.
Ronski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 05:07 PM   #33
Ronski

Not much to update, I've slowly been getting some bits sorted for the 16v turbo engine.

Back in mid August I finally got four wheels under my new engine

Now I purchased the engine blind off of a total stranger on Facebook, so was fully aware it could be a wreck, even though he assured me "it was a good runner", and said "I know it's a good engine with no faults" and "all was good when removed gears all good pulled well with no issues".

The real story it would seem is that it was removed from a car that had been in a front end accident, the oil filter was holed, the oil turbo return pipe was bent and the silicon elbow melted where it had pushed against the hot turbo, also the turbo water cooling pipe was bent as well. After carrying out a compression test one cylinder was at 50 PSI, the others were all about 100 PSI, so its clearly a very poorly engine.

I'm not particularly fussed about this, as it was always going to be stripped and rebuilt, just hope the cranks OK - these engines are getting increasingly rare.

I managed to source a new silicon elbow, also a second-hand elbow to fit on the turbo, but the pipe that screwed in to the block was also damaged (see above picture), and I couldn't find one of these. So I removed it and very carefully straightened it, and it will now be perfectly serviceable.

After changing the oil filter, and changing the engine oil (there was quite a lot left in it) I could not get it to build oil pressure. I removed the filter and used our oil dispenser to pump oil around the engine, then cranked the engine with the filter off and oil came out quite quickly. Then after refitting the filter and cranking again it has good pressure. Once this was done I then checked the compression, and found one cylinder was half what the others were . It would have been nice if it was a good runner, as then the car could be built with a running engine, and made sure everything was OK with the build prior to spending serious money on the engine.

I've managed to track down some other parts, ECU and plug, rear engine mounting bracket, left hand diff flange and driveshaft, and right hand inner and outer drive shaft. Currently waiting on the flange and right hand drive shafts to arrive. Just want to make sure I've got the bits I'll need that may be hard to find in the future.

I've not done anything to the Mini as I'm still finishing off the DIY at home, and still need to sort the garage out, which is a mammoth job.
Old 05-12-2019, 07:37 PM   #34
Ronski

Seems someone else beat to getting a Lancia Beta Twin Cam in a Mini, and they got it in the front, I also found mention of another, possibly in New Zealand.

On another note my right hand inner & outer driveshaft arrived from the Netherlands, and my left hand diff flange arrived from Germany.

Last edited by Ronski; 05-12-2019 at 07:52 PM.