16v Mini Club Forums  

Go Back   16v Mini Club Forums > Classifieds > For Sale

Old 27-01-2011, 11:24 PM   #16
Spiyda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midas_1330 View Post
It's the other way around, I have a standard metro sender fitted to a standard Metro tank. The digi dash is a Koso one which is essentially intended for bikes, the gauge on the Koso dash won't play so I'd be happy to switch off the option and fit something like your gauge elsewhere rather than mess around trying to fit a sender that will work with the dash.
Ah Ok.. the Koso has settings for 500 and 100 Ohms.. the device I mentioned should work with that, but again.. not tested directly...

I imagine that when you connect it up, on the 500 setting it reads from just under full when full to just under half full when the tank is empty
and on the 100 setting it reads from half empty when full to empty when about 1/4 full

If not something like that, it may be a faulty sender...

when the dooferies are ready, maybe you can test it and go that way if it works, and a seperate guage if it doesn't

as far as a seperate guage goes.. you would want the 8 LED guage with anti slosh.. that will work with a Metro sender fine.... its the anti-slosh bit that we are testing at the moment...

Chris

ps I've got fed up of trying to spell gauge right every time...

www.spiyda.com www.screwbank.com
Spiyda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2011, 10:15 PM   #17
Spiyda

The first 4 LED fuel gauge is ready, built for Geoff ..

this particular one fits in a box 65 x 35 x 20mm

It includes its own regulator, so it remains calibrated whatever happens to the car voltage

Each switching point is individually setable with a 9 turn pot

The overall brightness is settable

The switching points of all 4 LEDs are adjustable.

As per Geoff's specific instructions... it can be wired up so that normally no LEDs light except the Red one, wich comes on when the fuel level is low.. but when a switch is pressed, the other three indicate how much fuel is in the tank. This particular gauge has no anti-slosh circuit.

A quick video of it on the bench

Oh, and of course it will work with the mini sender or any resistance sender that reads High resistance for an empty tank (most of them)

Last edited by Spiyda; 30-01-2011 at 10:17 PM.
Old 30-01-2011, 10:22 PM   #18
hykrem

Subframe: Allspeed
CC: 1298
Make: Suzuki
Send a message via MSN to hykrem Send a message via Skype™ to hykrem

Great work!

I think that apart from the driveshafts and the lights will ask you this also
hykrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2011, 09:29 PM   #19
Midas_1330

CC: 1330
Make: Rover
ECU: Megajolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiyda View Post
as far as a seperate guage goes.. you would want the 8 LED guage with anti slosh.. that will work with a Metro sender fine.... its the anti-slosh bit that we are testing at the moment...
That's the sort of thing I'd be interested in, given the brightness of the LEDs the push button option with just the red coming on automatically is attractive.

Rich
Midas_1330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2011, 10:34 PM   #20
XEValver

Subframe: Home Made
CC: 2048
Make: Vauxhall

I'm still keen for one of these.

I'm going to knock up a gear lever cover from carbon (as was mentioned in my thread about composites projects... although i think this would be too simple for my actualy assigment so would just be for fun).

I'm planning on adding a section infront of the lever, at a kicked up angle, to accomodate one of these LED fuel guages, i figure it would look pretty ace

How about a toggle switch instead of a button? the LEDs might be less annoyingly bright during the day - so could be left on, and then switched off when driving at night?
Old 31-01-2011, 11:18 PM   #21
Spiyda

Quote:
Originally Posted by XEValver View Post
I'm still keen for one of these.

I'm going to knock up a gear lever cover from carbon (as was mentioned in my thread about composites projects... although i think this would be too simple for my actualy assigment so would just be for fun).

I'm planning on adding a section infront of the lever, at a kicked up angle, to accomodate one of these LED fuel guages, i figure it would look pretty ace

How about a toggle switch instead of a button? the LEDs might be less annoyingly bright during the day - so could be left on, and then switched off when driving at night?
the push button was more for track use as a fuel gauge is uneccesary when flipping end over end !

seriously though, a toggle switch could be bright in one position and dim in the other.. or an external pot could be used which would work like a dimmer.. It might be possible to drive them off the main instrument dimmer.

If you are using one of these gauges, you could also use the temperature gauge.. I'm working on the fan switch but thinking of how I can make a fuel/air gauge the same way..

My idea is to make a whole range of gauges where the LEDs can be any type in any position, so that the car builder decides where to mount them..

they could be in a line, or mounted in a semi circle inside another gauge.. or in whatever shape you like to suit the car...

In fact, it would be easy to use diffuse LEDs and light up a larger panel area behind an acrylic window etc..

The main thing being, you are not tied to a circular glass fronted can, they are completely adjustable, and accurate.

Last edited by Spiyda; 31-01-2011 at 11:20 PM.
Old 01-02-2011, 06:38 AM   #22
XEValver

You clever clever person!!

Sounds awesome! 52mm gauges will be a thing of the past!!
Old 01-02-2011, 02:13 PM   #23
Aidstap

Subframe: MTB
CC: 1600
Make: Honda
ECU: Standard

you could wire them like some gauges are where they have a wire you connect to the lights so when you switch the lights on the auto dim.
I'm very interested in one of these with the anti slosh as the aftermarket on i have is pineapple it would make you seasick looking at it when your driving along.
Aidstap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 08:21 PM   #24
Spiyda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidstap View Post
you could wire them like some gauges are where they have a wire you connect to the lights so when you switch the lights on the auto dim.
I'm very interested in one of these with the anti slosh as the aftermarket on i have is pineapple it would make you seasick looking at it when your driving along.
That's a damn good idea ! not sure how to implement it, but I'm sure its possible... I'll have a think about it... I'm doing the dual fan switch tonight.. but I'll have a look tomorrow..

talking of the dual fan switch, I've modified my original circuit as bit

Now, each fan can be switched on by a seperate, or the same temperature sensor..
I did this for folks that might have a fan on their intercooler.. by reading the plenum temperature, the intercooler fan can be switched on, independently of the water temperature switching on the radiator fan..
equally one of them could switch the fan on an oil cooler like on some Harleys ! ...

I also modified it so that it can work of dedicated temperature sensors, or the sensors used by the ECU etc.

and added the 4 LED fuel gauge and 4 LED teperature gauge to the website

Quote:
Originally Posted by XEValver View Post
You clever clever person!!

Sounds awesome! 52mm gauges will be a thing of the past!!
Not sure if that was sarcastic or not ! if it was ... sod off... if it wasn't (blush)

Old 01-02-2011, 08:28 PM   #25
XEValver

No not sarcastic. Darned clever, and a bleddy good idea!

I did a BTEC in electronic engineering and still wouldn't fancy trying to work all that out!
Old 01-02-2011, 08:31 PM   #26
spNOam

CC: 1998
ECU: Tweaked DTA

Thanks Chris, LED fuel indicator arrived today, piece of cake to wire & get the cover on, no petrol though so can only confirm that the red LED works......

Geoff
spNOam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 09:06 PM   #27
Spiyda

Quote:
Originally Posted by spNOam View Post
Thanks Chris, LED fuel indicator arrived today, piece of cake to wire & get the cover on, no petrol though so can only confirm that the red LED works......
Excellent.. The posties are not as bad as some folks make out !

Old 02-02-2011, 05:14 PM   #28
Spiyda

A quick update,

I completed the dual fan relay board earlier. It is on test now...

I will need to test it on the car, but the car isn't running as it still has that water leak

as I planned, it has two independent circuits so can switch two fans on at individual settings of whatever temperature is required. It can work both fans off the same sensor, or work off seperate sensors. It can utilise sensors that are already connected to the ECU etc. or seperate sensors.. (it does need a wire cut on the board to work with sensors that are already in use..).. What I can't test on the bench is how the normal level of electrical interference on a car affects it.. so not for sale until that is done.

I'll be etching the 8 LED temperature gauge later this evening

and probably the 8 LED fuel gauge later this week.

Old 03-02-2011, 05:42 PM   #29
Midas_1330

CC: 1330
Make: Rover
ECU: Megajolt

Ideal, I'll keep an eye on this thread.
Midas_1330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 08:37 PM   #30
XEValver

Sounds good Chris - keep me on that list.

It looks like i may be making a dash board for my composites project now - not sure if you'd be up for this - but i'd like to design around the basis of using as many of these funky LED style guages as possible. Water temp, Fuel level, AFR?, RPM?... as many as you can make

So rather than having several off-the-shelf guage units bolted into a dashboard, having all LEDs set into it. And i may reverse engineer my digi speedo so as to just have a square LCD screen for vehicle speed. Space age.