Old 07-09-2018, 07:52 PM   #1
twincamtone

Subframe: Home Made
CC: 1796
Make: Rover
ECU: Standard MEMS3
Default Wiring Problems

Hey guys,

I have fitted the entire zr wiring loom except obviously the abs and restraint system, also removed wiring for electric windows, mirrors, headlight levellers and sunroof.

I have everything working except battery light, fog lights and heated rear window.

Does anyone know what might be the problem, I have checked and double checked all the wire connections and earths.

The alternator wires thick brown live cable, brown/yellow (charge light) cable and white/red switched live cable, though the white/red cable isnít shown connecting to the alternator in the Haynes manual, so I'm a bit confused.

I have connected a test bulb to the white/red cable and a good earth and switched on the ignition but getting nothing from the test bulb.

Could it be anything to do with the ABS being removed?

Would much appreciate any help
twincamtone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 09:19 PM   #2
gadget555

Subframe: Watson
CC: 1800
ECU: K maps 160 Race

If you put a volt meter on the red/white wire do you get 12v ? I had a similar problem where I couldn't get my Denso alternator to charge but I could put a 12v feed to it and it would charge ok @ 14.4v. Is your engine mems 3? if it is it possibly has an ECU controlled alternator, try putting a 12v feed to where the red/white wire goes to the alternator but I would try and not connect with the original wire still connected as it goes back to the ECU you could back feed the ECU and damage something. If you do get 12v from the red/white wire it doesn't have enough amps to light the bulb but it does to switch the alternator on & off when cranking. I traced the red/white wire back to the ECU, removed it from the plug and extended it to a ignition switched live.
gadget555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 09:33 PM   #3
twincamtone

Cheers buddy, yes it's mems3 will give that a go tomorrow
Old 08-09-2018, 07:21 AM   #4
B.Bumble

CC: 1396
ECU: MEMS 3 [MGZR]

If it is a later MEMS 3 wiring loom then the heated rear window won't work with just the ignition on, it needs to have the engine running [well mine does anyway] As for the the front fog lights, they need to be "made active" in the control module. For some reason [to make extra money] MG/Rover didn't make this connection active in cars that didn't have front fogs even though all the electrics are in there. I sent mine off to Paul Brown [the MG owners club acknowledged electronics expert] and had the SCU checked out and the fog relay made active at the same time. All of that + a new spare Fob cost me £75
Well worth it I think.
B.Bumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 11:32 AM   #5
twincamtone

Cheers Bumble, interesting info, I didn't realise the engine had to be running, guess I will leave the rhw. The donor car had fogs fitted and working so maybe I have done something wrong somewhere, the front fogs will only work if I keep the switch held
Old 08-09-2018, 02:38 PM   #6
MiniLandy

CC: 1400
ECU: Megajolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Bumble View Post
If it is a later MEMS 3 wiring loom then the heated rear window won't work with just the ignition on, it needs to have the engine running [well mine does anyway] As for the the front fog lights, they need to be "made active" in the control module. For some reason [to make extra money] MG/Rover didn't make this connection active in cars that didn't have front fogs even though all the electrics are in there. I sent mine off to Paul Brown [the MG owners club acknowledged electronics expert] and had the SCU checked out and the fog relay made active at the same time. All of that + a new spare Fob cost me £75
Well worth it I think.
Was that the Lucas one or the Pektron one? I fitted front fogs to my Rover 25 (Lucas module) and they work a treat. Just added switch, relay, and lamps.

In the whole time I owned a mini I never once managed to get the heated rear screen to work Was it working on the mini electrics?
MiniLandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 05:08 PM   #7
twincamtone

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniLandy View Post
In the whole time I owned a mini I never once managed to get the heated rear screen to work Was it working on the mini electrics?
Yes worked fine before.
Old 08-09-2018, 08:26 PM   #8
B.Bumble

CC: 1396
ECU: MEMS 3 [MGZR]

I'm talking about a Pektron SCU. When you say the fogs work if you keep the switch pressed it sounds like the latch in the relay is not holding or there is a fault with the switch itself. If you can "borrow" a switch that works from someone and eliminate that first before investigating the SCU for problems. You do know that with the new MoT if your car has spotlights fitted, they MUST work in order to pass the test. Same goes with a reversing light. Didn't used to be but is now.
B.Bumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 11:27 AM   #9
twincamtone

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Bumble View Post
I'm talking about a Pektron SCU. When you say the fogs work if you keep the switch pressed it sounds like the latch in the relay is not holding or there is a fault with the switch itself. If you can "borrow" a switch that works from someone and eliminate that first before investigating the SCU for problems. You do know that with the new MoT if your car has spotlights fitted, they MUST work in order to pass the test. Same goes with a reversing light. Didn't used to be but is now.
The switch is fine, power is going through and switch warning comes on, but as you say maybe the relay isn't latching, should do though as I had all 5 relays replace by Paul a while back. I'm not planning on fitting any lights as yet apart from a small rear fog light.

Tested the alternator, I have zero volts from the white/red cable going to the alternator, but have 11.5 volts from the brown/yellow cable, not sure this sounds right.
Old 09-09-2018, 12:20 PM   #10
gadget555

CC: 1800
ECU: K maps 160 Race

Which alternator are you using? have you tied putting a 12v feed to where the red/white wire goes into the alternator?
gadget555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 05:35 PM   #11
twincamtone

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadget555 View Post
Which alternator are you using? have you tied putting a 12v feed to where the red/white wire goes into the alternator?
Alternator is Denso and I think it might be knackered. I tried putting a live feed to the terminal where the white/red cable should be, switch ignition on and still no light. With the ignition still on, I earthed the charge light brown/yellow cable and light came on, so it's looking like the alternator is at fault, though that still doesn't explain why I'm not getting any volts from the white/red cable
Old 11-09-2018, 07:01 PM   #12
InstantCustard

CC: 1.8
ECU: Emerald K6

Is it the smallest Denso?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardonfast View Post
Haz obviously don't like custard , my Mrs spits it out to!
I love it
InstantCustard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 07:06 PM   #13
InstantCustard

CC: 1.8
ECU: Emerald K6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardonfast View Post
Haz obviously don't like custard , my Mrs spits it out to!
I love it
InstantCustard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 07:30 PM   #14
twincamtone

Quote:
Originally Posted by InstantCustard View Post
Is it the smallest Denso?

It's the 40amp from a Charade.
Old 11-09-2018, 07:33 PM   #15
twincamtone

Quote:
Originally Posted by InstantCustard View Post

I will try wiring it the same as the top drawing and by-pass everything else and see what happens...Thanks for that Dan