16v Mini Club Forums  

Go Back   16v Mini Club Forums > 16v Mini Sprint > 16v Mini Sprint Chat

Old 15-08-2014, 07:16 PM   #31
russelli

I ran the curborough day that Philip and Steve came to last month, I have another day booked for Tuesday 16th sept, I run it for mainly caterhams but have a mini already booked, if anyone is interested drop me a line, cost is £60, I need ten cars to cover the £600 I pay to hire for the day. Relaxed day choice of two circuit configurations, your choice on your runs, plenty of time for lots of goes. Helmets and long selves & trousers, passengers and multiple drivers not a problem. Kev
russelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2014, 08:13 PM   #32
PaulW

Subframe: Home Made
CC: 1800cc
Make: Other
ECU: Megasquirt MX5 Pnp

Quote:
Originally Posted by russelli View Post
I ran the curborough day that Philip and Steve came to last month, I have another day booked for Tuesday 16th sept, I run it for mainly caterhams but have a mini already booked, if anyone is interested drop me a line, cost is £60, I need ten cars to cover the £600 I pay to hire for the day. Relaxed day choice of two circuit configurations, your choice on your runs, plenty of time for lots of goes. Helmets and long selves & trousers, passengers and multiple drivers not a problem. Kev
Hi Kev

are these events a week day thing?

Paul
PaulW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2014, 08:58 PM   #33
russelli

Hi Paul, I run my day independant as a test day, being a member of the shenstone car club. I have run two days per year for my local lotus/caterham seven club, this is done by quite a few of the area groups within the lotus seven club. Over the years I have invited from all over the clubs when I have needed the ten places filled. A mix of cars makes for an interesting day. I am building a mini at the moment and know a few guys with minis. The test day booking is only during the week as there is usually an event there at weekends, shenstone car club also have there own free to member track afternoons during the season, membership is around£20. It doesn't sound like the track day club are making any money from the event as the hire is £600 per day, although I am not sure how many they have on a day.

Last edited by russelli; 15-08-2014 at 09:00 PM.
Old 15-08-2014, 10:28 PM   #34
spNOam

CC: 1998
Make: Vauxhall
ECU: Tweaked DTA

As I live just round the corner, am interested, who would I contact regarding membership at shenstone car club?

Geoff
spNOam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2014, 02:46 AM   #35
russelli

http://www.curborough.com

http://user28967.vs.easily.co.uk/she...rict-car-club/
Old 16-08-2014, 09:08 AM   #36
PaulW

Its the weekday events that make it not viable for me. I want a weekend track which makes getting the numbers up easier.
Old 16-08-2014, 10:34 AM   #37
ardonfast

Subframe: AMT
CC: 2000
ECU: dizzy/webers

Thanks russelli for your help here, it is weekends thats needed, but now we are arwair i for one may pop up to something, looks grate,
Paul are you going to contact shenstone about weekends?
Ive looked and it dose seem although they are spacific car days thers pictures that show other cars are involved on there days, down to max amount and how many spair spaces
They have, or taff goef may like to speek up for us?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=3JhaTwP7uuk
ardonfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2014, 12:53 PM   #38
AGoaty

Subframe: Watson
CC: 1796
Make: Rover
ECU: Standard

I agree about being on a weekend. I only get limited days off work. I realise there may be a premium to pay, but taking a day off to come would mean I would come a very limited amount.
Old 16-08-2014, 04:01 PM   #39
Andy_S

ECU: Megasquirt ... kinda

I'm another who is only interested in weekends, but I'd want it to be competitive not simply track day type stuff.

Important questions;

i) Are we looking for a venue where we can race with proper timing or is this just for fun? (I would prefer proper timed racing.)

ii) Are we looking for a venue that can host a number of events or just an annual get together? (Either is OK for me.)

iii) Are we hoping that these become our own events or are we happy to join pre-existing events? (I'm happy to race with others.)

iv) How far are we prepared to travel? (Max 150 miles each way for me.)

For me the most fun that I have had was when there were a few of us racing on proper timed events and at various locations. We used to join a number of MSA events as well as Barky all in the same season. At the time it was very expensive but also soooooo much fun I can't begin to explain it. I spent far too much money but in hindsight this was mostly building, repairing, maintaining & upgrading the car and not the entry fees into the MSA events.

Once we stopped playing at the MSA events I saved maybe max £500 a year on entries and even though I did keep breaking the car, the fact that the Barky championship wasn't too serious meant I didnt spend daft amounts of time & money on repairs, fancy tyres or car upgrades ............ sadly in later years the buzz wasn't quite the same as previous years as we couldn't maintain the 16VMini 'championship' format & the Barky 'predict your time' rules on their own weren't so much fun.

So to conclude my waffle I am currently still at the 'given up' stage as far as the Mini racing is concerned and I'm not sure I'm going to find the motivation to put the effort into playing if all we we're aiming for is a few un-timed track days. I'm very much hoping that we can find a way to form a championship & not just access to play-time.

Apologies if I seem fussy
Andy_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2014, 06:55 PM   #40
PaulW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_S View Post
I'm another who is only interested in weekends, but I'd want it to be competitive not simply track day type stuff.

Important questions;

i) Are we looking for a venue where we can race with proper timing or is this just for fun? (I would prefer proper timed racing.)

ii) Are we looking for a venue that can host a number of events or just an annual get together? (Either is OK for me.)

iii) Are we hoping that these become our own events or are we happy to join pre-existing events? (I'm happy to race with others.)

iv) How far are we prepared to travel? (Max 150 miles each way for me.)

For me the most fun that I have had was when there were a few of us racing on proper timed events and at various locations. We used to join a number of MSA events as well as Barky all in the same season. At the time it was very expensive but also soooooo much fun I can't begin to explain it. I spent far too much money but in hindsight this was mostly building, repairing, maintaining & upgrading the car and not the entry fees into the MSA events.

Once we stopped playing at the MSA events I saved maybe max £500 a year on entries and even though I did keep breaking the car, the fact that the Barky championship wasn't too serious meant I didnt spend daft amounts of time & money on repairs, fancy tyres or car upgrades ............ sadly in later years the buzz wasn't quite the same as previous years as we couldn't maintain the 16VMini 'championship' format & the Barky 'predict your time' rules on their own weren't so much fun.

So to conclude my waffle I am currently still at the 'given up' stage as far as the Mini racing is concerned and I'm not sure I'm going to find the motivation to put the effort into playing if all we we're aiming for is a few un-timed track days. I'm very much hoping that we can find a way to form a championship & not just access to play-time.

Apologies if I seem fussy
Answers
i) I'm looking for a venue where we can hold timed runs and also would be good to have 2 full weekend 16vmini track days a year. So fun either way.

ii)see last answer

iii) i think initially we are kidding ourselves to think we can get enough 16v mini's to hold our own. I think we need to advertise to those who were competing in the Barkston sprint events as they lost the venue as well. It would be good to involve the turbo mini boys as well as A series. maybe set up some classes to make it fair?

iv) been discussed in another thread can't find it

I don't really want to start with the MSA stuff far afield, Harewood is the closest for me and i would like to do this to keep costs down. Wont be next year though

I would love to get a championship going again but there needs to be more of us and we need a way to make it fair and involve other makes as well as A series.

If anyone suggests we start nominating times based on our practice laps then they can forget it.

Paul
Old 17-08-2014, 08:16 PM   #41
apbellamy

ECU: SC Typhoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulW View Post
It would be good to involve the turbo mini boys as well as A series. maybe set up some classes to make it fair?
Yep, wouldn't want to show you up.
seat mounting should not be taken lightly, nor should a rat trying to get up your trouser leg doing 50,m,p,h, all of a suden your nUts become more important,
apbellamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2014, 10:20 PM   #42
ardonfast

CC: 2000
ECU: dizzy/webers

Well chaps not sure its hopefull
Seems thers some options for you chaps up there as ther is for me hear,
Wiscombe hillclimbe is 8 miles away and thers a drag strip at smeatharp
4 miles away,
Neather of witch i care for, and you wont be there, sob sob weep weep
Let me know if the 2 times a year thing comes off paul,
I may look into coboura as i can race any day of the week,
I spoke to jimbob down hear and he can do most days to so will let you all know if we plan to go up never know,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=3JhaTwP7uuk
ardonfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2014, 10:47 PM   #43
spNOam

ECU: Tweaked DTA

Scimitar day at Curborough today, popped over and had a chat with the coc, nice venue, plenty of paddock space, not all events are MSA, we can share a day with other clubs by arrangement, weekend & weekday opportunities etc etc

Geoff
spNOam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2014, 05:41 AM   #44
russelli

Nice one Geoff, was going to suggest just that, have found the club very accomadating, David has always been helpfull. You will all enjoy the course it is really good to get on a drive it.
Old 18-08-2014, 09:09 AM   #45
AGoaty

Subframe: Watson
CC: 1796
Make: Rover
ECU: Standard

I don't want to go against everyone else here but I wouldn't want to commit to a championship. I'm happy for those that do and think Barkston would of been no fun without being timed.

I'm not as fussy when it comes to events. If I like the itinery, then I'll come. Simple!