16v Mini Club Forums  

Go Back   16v Mini Club Forums > General Public Area > General 16v Mini Chat

Old 12-02-2018, 09:16 AM   #1
pauledwards

Default Best Place to buy honda/bike engined mini

Morning everyone,

I'm in the market for looking at a honda/bike engined mini, done a search on pistonheads/ebay and nothing has come up. Where would be the best place to look for one? Thanks in advanced!!
pauledwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 10:43 AM   #2
Haz

Subframe: Watson
CC: 1600
Make: Honda
ECU: Standard

Took me two years to find one that wasn't a total wreck or way over priced. I looked on here, piston heads, auto trader and ebay constantly for 2 years.

Patience.
Haz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 11:13 AM   #3
pauledwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haz View Post
Took me two years to find one that wasn't a total wreck or way over priced. I looked on here, piston heads, auto trader and ebay constantly for 2 years.

Patience.
That's one thing that i don't have!
Old 12-02-2018, 11:47 AM   #4
Haz

Rover K series ones tend to come up more often if you can stomach running a rover engine. The big advantage being weight, around 100kg lighter than the honda B series. They seem to run anywhere from 120-170 bhp. Most are around 130/140. I'm no expert on that engine though, I'd rather run an A-series
Old 12-02-2018, 11:55 AM   #5
Oz

Subframe: Other
CC: 1595
ECU: DTA

Where you say "Honda/bike" do you mean a Honda bike engine or a Honda car engine or a Bike engine ?

There is a world of difference between a bike engine in a car and a car engine in a car. I'm pretty sure that there is a good reason why bike engine cars get built and sold fairly quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haz View Post
I'm no expert on that engine though, I'd rather run an A-series
I'm running for cover cos when AGoaty sees this you're in for all kinds of pain

Build Thread - Standard Round Nose with K series subframe build begun
Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 12:10 PM   #6
Haz

Well it does have quite the reputation for the HG going and subsequently annealing itself into an early grave... But other than that terminal issue it's a really great engine
Old 12-02-2018, 12:33 PM   #7
gadget555

CC: 1800
Make: Rover
ECU: K maps 160 Race

There are plenty of Rover K series engined mini's about! most are running the VVC engine either the older Mems 1.9/2 143 bhp or the later (mine included) out of the zr 160 or mg tf 160 both engines putting out close to 160 bhp and can be easily tuned by getting the ecu remapped by K maps, free flow air filter and a decent exhaust should see closer to about 175ish. There's nothing fundamentally wrong with the engine it all comes down to how it has been looked after! Some of the rover guy's are now fitting the 1.8 turbo motor's out of the ZT's and some are running 230-250 bhp but they are modified to get that amount of power. At the end of the day it's going to be your car, your money that funds it and your choice in which way you want to go? We are here to help and answer your questions, give advice and most of all we have good banter! and not as straight laced as some are on other purist forum's!!!!

Last edited by gadget555; 12-02-2018 at 12:37 PM.
gadget555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 12:36 PM   #8
pauledwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz View Post
Where you say "Honda/bike" do you mean a Honda bike engine or a Honda car engine or a Bike engine ?

There is a world of difference between a bike engine in a car and a car engine in a car. I'm pretty sure that there is a good reason why bike engine cars get built and sold fairly quickly.

I'm running for cover cos when AGoaty sees this you're in for all kinds of pain
Sorry for the miss information, a Honda B/K series engine or an R1/Hayabusa engine. I'm contemplating going down the Promotive route and doing it DIY, but unsure atm!
Just don't see them come up for sale that often, there's one for sale in North Ireland but not sure on the condition of it!
Old 12-02-2018, 12:47 PM   #9
Haz

There's a k1100 converted A-series one been up for sale for ages, very tidy car. I think that was around 140bhp if my memory serves. Very pricey though.

Have a think about what you're going to be using the car for. If it's just track use then a bike engine is probably the way to go but for a daily drive or weekend long drives to car meets or the nurburgring etc.... Would a screaming torqueless bike engine be the best option? How long will the gearbox (or the clutch for that matter) last pulling around an extra 500kgs? If it's chain driven, how often will you have to adjust it and subsequently change it?

Again, might not be an issue if it's only seeing the track once every couple months but worth considering if you want to put some miles on it.

The only two engines I considered were the honda b series or the vauxhall c20xe. There's not that many c20xe engined cars around so not very likely you'll see one for sale, but they do turn up occasionally. I'd have gone for the G13b too but they appear to be getting quite rare and hard to find parts for. The Honda K series is a wonderful engine, but the converisons tend to be RWD, made by Z-cars and cost an absolute fortune. Personally, I think RWD in such a short wheel base is a deadly idea. That's my 2 cents
Old 12-02-2018, 03:05 PM   #10
AGoaty

CC: 1796
Make: Rover

Ha ha Oz! Make out as though I'm a troll!

I actually think it's funny all the Rover K series jokes. It's keeping prices of bits rock bottom. It also means that is a massive factor in choosing it!

Most of my comments have been made already. For a road car, forget a motorbike engine. Only seen 2 driven on the road and both drivers said it's not a nice experience. In order to set off, high revs are needed. Plenty of clutch control. Etc. This isn't an issue once rolling, like a track car but in traffic not good. There is bound to be someone who likes this so consider this my opinion.

I commented in the Honda section about how come I would choose a Rover K series over a Honda VTEC. I thought I was going to open a massive can of worms but couldn't believe hardly any one else mentioned anything. Again, my opinion.

The only real way you will get what you want is building one yourself or have one made to your spec. As you have seen, prices are premium for these cars. Quite often what you consider over priced, the seller with be still loosing money over the outlay. Five figure sums for mint cars are common now.

Good luck finding what you are wanting, at the price you want to pay.

Last edited by AGoaty; 12-02-2018 at 03:13 PM.
AGoaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 03:29 PM   #11
Haz

That's exactly it, a well finished sorted car tended to command a premium I wasn't will to part with. A non-runner or a not MOT'd car tended to be too much of a basket case for me... I eventually found a road worthy runner built to a good standard, it just needs finishing off. That was a decent price, although in hinesight I think I still paid 500-1000 too much for it.

It all depends on how much work you want to do yourself and what standard of car you want to end up with. I budgeted 6k, spent 5k on the car. Needed around 2k spending on parts and paint to make it right... Then there's still loads I want to change.
Old 12-02-2018, 04:44 PM   #12
pauledwards

Thanks for everyone's inputs. I think i'll go with a B series and not a bike engine! (Only choosing b series as i've been in the Honda game for a long time so know a lot about these engines and know a lot of people who could help!). I've come across this website "http://www.allspeedengineering.com/" they sell a B series frame, or superfastmini (if they ship to UK!)
Old 12-02-2018, 05:21 PM   #13
Haz

Read this on frames:

http://www.16vminiclub.com/showthread.php?t=2742

What's not mentioned in there is how difficult it is to set up the allspeed to handle nicely, but it does mention the aditional complications of the RHD space restrictions. At least, they're the biggest complaint I've read about them.

Also not mentioned is the total lack of choice of wheels or brakes for the k-series (watsons) frame. That's the pain I've just lived through.

In short, if you want it to be a sleeper style (mini track, mini wheels, mini brakes etc) and don't mind the extra effort to build and set up then allspeed is the way to go. If you want a tried and tested set up and are willing to accept metro wheels then go for the watsons set up. Some of the guys on here you'll see with metro frames and nice wheels, but the company who make them no longer do
Old 13-02-2018, 12:42 AM   #14
ardonfast

Subframe: AMT
CC: 2000
Make: Vauxhall
ECU: dizzy/webers

Don't you just love it when a member asks about something they want} then they get converted!!
That's wisdom!
Bike engines are snappy at too sharp unless you want a utter screamer,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=3JhaTwP7uuk
ardonfast is offline   Reply With Quote