16v Mini Club Forums  

Go Back   16v Mini Club Forums > General Public Area > General 16v Mini Chat > Newbie Forum

Old 03-01-2017, 07:54 PM   #1
ZA-J

Subframe: Home Made
CC: 1796
Make: Rover
ECU: Standard
Default Cheese Grating Mini

Good evening all,

I'm new to the idea of 16 valves after my supercharged 'A' series gearbox decided it'd be a nice idea to act as a cheese grater and strip the teeth off my two of my gears!

I've got a '79 van and am looking around for a more reliable way of getting big horsepower in a Mini.

Hopefully you'll see a bit more of me in the coming months.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gears.JPG (31.4 KB, 23 views)
ZA-J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 10:06 PM   #2
AGoaty

Subframe: Watson

My favourite type of 16 valver!

Just like myself, after a series of smashed Mini gearboxes I converted to double the power and a reliable gearbox.

Rover K series is under rated and cheap way of making a Mini go a lot quicker but still feel like a Mini. Read the "Rover" section.

Out of interest, how many horsepowers was the supercharged A series? What are you aiming to get from the 16v conversion?

What are you expecting to use it for?

You do know that putting a 16v engine in could depreciate it's value.
Old 04-01-2017, 09:12 PM   #3
ZA-J

I've got a friend who's in the process of a K series conversion - it's looking favourite at the minute. Probably the 1.8 160 engine.

Still need to do some more research into final drive, gear linkage, hubs and drive shafts.

(And which engines will fit under a standard roundness - I'm not keen on an extended or clubby front end!)

I use the mini mostly for going to shows - usually drag racing (spectating, not racing - although I'd put it down the strip from time to time) which is a 200 mile round trip. I've taken it to Le mans for the last two years and would plan on dong that again.

Still feeling like a mini appeals a lot - I don't want to lose the handling characteristics with whatever engine I run.

The A series was 100-110bhp, but had more to give. I can't remember torque figure off the top of my head, but more than enough!

I'm not fussed on the depreciation front - I'm not planning on selling it, besides, it's rattle can grey primer
Old 05-01-2017, 01:50 PM   #4
AGoaty

Subframe: Watson

The Rover seems the most popular in the UK at the moment. It can be fitted under a standard front but a custom exhaust manifold is needed. Smaller alternator helps too.

Can be done for less than price of the A series rebuild. The K engine is lighter than the A so keeps the proportions right.

Loads of builds to read in the build section. Read the guide at the top first to get an idea of what is possible.

Regarding the gearbox, this conversation comes up a lot. Most on here will agree the PG1 C6 gearbox is best choice. These are very reliable and are under 50.

Depending on subby choice, hubs can be standard Mini or MG F. The brakes fitted to these have to match the hubs.

Custom drive shafts are most likely needed. These can be made from new at around 300. Or cut and shut ones for around 100.
Old 07-01-2017, 07:20 PM   #5
ZA-J

Great info, thank-you!

If I opt for an MGF lump/subframe combo, will the mini hubs fit that? I'd like to keep my current 13x7's if possible?

Is that gearbox final drive compatible then?
Old 14-01-2017, 06:09 PM   #6
gazwad

ECU: standard

mini hubs will not fit an mgf frame and if you want to keep the standard roundnose the only option is to use a mini based frame, either an allspeed one or make one yourself. on 13 inch wheels the c6 pg1 gearbox ratios will be ideal (standard mgf 1.8 non-vvc gearbox).
gazwad is offline   Reply With Quote