16v Mini Club Forums  

Go Back   16v Mini Club Forums > General Public Area > General 16v Mini Chat

Old 20-05-2018, 09:42 AM   #1
Dopeshow

Subframe: Allspeed
Make: Honda
Default Best Suspension

Just got my shell back from blasting so in the process of sealing and painting the underside and then on to building up the back end. I have been trying to research the best suspension set up's for the rear and front, but there seems to be pros & cons for every set up.

Engine is a type R vtec and use will be fast road and some track days, I am pretty set on coil overs for the front unless someone can present a good case for not going this direction.

The rear is where i am stuck! I am thinking beam axle and coilovers as its a more modern route, how-ever just calling on experiences with this set up, is it worth it or will a standard subframe combined with uprated shocks / spings be better? I have read an anti-roll bar is a good way of improving the handling, so again looking for some experience based advise.

Thanks.
Dopeshow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2018, 07:04 AM   #2
gazwad

Subframe: Home Made
CC: 1796
Make: Rover
ECU: standard

I would say as a rough guide for a mainly road car that does the odd trackday rubber cones, hi-lo's and decent adjustable dampers are very good. for an all out trackday car (with occasional road use) then coilovers work well. Coilovers can work better on the track as it's a smooth surface so hard springs can be used to minimise body roll, but on the road they don't work as well as rubber cones. An anti-roll bar depends on how it handles to begin with, you would need to test the car on the track first as if you find it is already biased toward oversteer a rear arb will make it worse.
gazwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2018, 09:57 AM   #3
ardonfast

Subframe: AMT
CC: 2000
Make: Vauxhall
ECU: dizzy/webers

Pritty much as gazwad said really ,
Do you have allspeed front frame?
If you do are you planning on undoing the possibility of verry
Near mini cone setup?
If coilover,s are your choice to simplify your build it may swing your disition but if not don't bother!!!
I must say I never used coilovers on mini yet but m about to,
Not out of choice!
I can say that I don't have any complaints about the original
Mini system , well a well sorted one anyway,
Same at the rear aswell,
Tryed and tested for thousands of miles
What wheels? If you're going into 13 inch land I can't see coilovers hurting you much because you will have allready
Handicapped yourself! Only my opinion!
Members do use them with good afect but often for need reasons rather than choice or even never had chance to try other wheel sizes,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=3JhaTwP7uuk
ardonfast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2018, 10:03 AM   #4
Dopeshow

Thanks Gazwad...

Thats pretty much the concluson I came too. My best friend owns a garage and they do alsorts of performance mods on Evo's and Subaru's and he has installed an element of doubt in my mind. I was worried about loosing weight on the rear by using a beam ax, as this might cause issues under heavy breaking.

Already got high /lows so will use these along with a good adjustable shock. Any thoughts on changing the rubber cone out for a spring? Again my research is inconclusive and many pros & cons.

Last edited by Dopeshow; 21-05-2018 at 10:13 AM.
Old 21-05-2018, 10:10 AM   #5
Dopeshow

Thanks Ardonfast...

Do you have allspeed front frame? Not got one but thats the route I am going to take

If you do are you planning on undoing the possibility of verry
Near mini cone setup? Plans for rear is open but I am set on coilovers for the front

If coilover,s are your choice to simplify your build it may swing your disition but if not don't bother!!! I'm vain and like the look of the coil over on the front

What wheels? If you're going into 13 inch land I can't see coilovers hurting you much because you will have allready
Handicapped yourself! Only my opinion!, Yes going for 13"s, I have had minis in the past (only A series) and used to run 10"s so want to try 13"s again being vain I love the look of the 13" minilites with a polished dish.
Old 21-05-2018, 10:19 AM   #6
gazwad

Subframe: Home Made
ECU: standard

I've only used steel springs instead of rubber cones in a watson/metro subframe and didn't like them, they were nice and compliant so smooth on the road but as they aren't progressive like the rubber cone they tended to allow a lot of body roll and would easily hit the bumpstops on bigger bumps making them a bit crashy on rougher stuff. For an upgrade on the rubber cones the minispares red spot or even yellow spot for serious track use are supposed to be very good and reduce roll a lot
gazwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2018, 10:30 AM   #7
Haz

Subframe: Watson
CC: 1600
ECU: Standard

I have minispares red springs on a standard mini (watsons) set up with gaz single adjustables. As gazwad has said, they're very compliant making for a nice ride until you push on or go on any rougher surfaces. I've found they could get quite unsettled when changing direction or loading them up heavily. The roll and bouciness don't make for a confidence inspiring drive.

I will be changing to red dot cones front & back ASAP. Might change to the dual adjustable gaz shocks too whilst I'm at it.
Haz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2018, 12:54 PM   #8
Dopeshow

Thanks Guys, much appricated!
Old 22-05-2018, 01:17 PM   #9
Oz

Subframe: Other
CC: 1595
ECU: DTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haz View Post
I will be changing to red dot cones front & back ASAP. Might change to the dual adjustable gaz shocks too whilst I'm at it.
I doubt you'd get rubber cones in a Metro frame without a lot of modification. I've only seen it done by cutting off the whole top section where the spring sits and welding on a tower cut from a Mini subframe - I think Agoaty's K series powered Project Scorpion has this done

Build Thread - Standard Round Nose with K series subframe build begun
Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2018, 01:21 PM   #10
Oz

Subframe: Other
CC: 1595
ECU: DTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazwad View Post
I've only used steel springs instead of rubber cones in a watson/metro subframe and didn't like them, they were nice and compliant so smooth on the road but as they aren't progressive like the rubber cone they tended to allow a lot of body roll and would easily hit the bumpstops on bigger bumps making them a bit crashy on rougher stuff. For an upgrade on the rubber cones the minispares red spot or even yellow spot for serious track use are supposed to be very good and reduce roll a lot
With my Watsons frame I found I had to wind my adjustable dampers up quite hard to counter the roll. Watsons then started doing helper springs which fit inside the original springs (a bit like double valve springs on an A-series head) and these made a massive difference. I could back the dampers off a bit and the ride got better but the roll was reduced

Build Thread - Standard Round Nose with K series subframe build begun
Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2018, 04:36 PM   #11
AGoaty

Subframe: Watson
ECU: Standard

As the OP is going for an Allspeed frame, it seems ludicrous to me to use coil overs. The frame and full suspension is based around the Mini setup.

My suggestion would be use red dot cones in it. Far simpler and also a cheaper option giving a tried and tested solution.

I am not going to comment about my project Scorpion as said too much in my build diary already. The basis is, it would be ok if done properly.
Old 23-05-2018, 02:24 PM   #12
Dopeshow

Thanks for you comments. I had a conversation with the guy at Allspeed and he sugested keeping the standard mini set up as well. So after taking it all onboard I think I will listen to tried and test advice and still with standard set up with uprated rubber cones and some adjustable shocks.

Again thanks for the useful input, much appriciated.

I will be starting my build diary in the next few weeks, so any further help will be gladly recieved.
Old 24-05-2018, 12:16 AM   #13
ardonfast

Subframe: AMT
CC: 2000
Make: Vauxhall
ECU: dizzy/webers

Great stuff , good atatude!!
W,T,F are you doing on hear? None of us, ever listen lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=3JhaTwP7uuk
ardonfast is online now   Reply With Quote