16v Mini Club Forums  

Go Back   16v Mini Club Forums > General Public Area > Suzuki Chat

Old 16-07-2017, 10:40 PM   #1
roofchoplofty

Default G13b wiring

Hello, this is my first post. I've been lucky enough to acquire a engine and subframe and wiring. I've installed it all and it drives well, however it's not all ok and seems to have a flat spot and the lambda sensor isn't connected. To be honest the wiring isn't the best and I'd like to check it all and understand. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
roofchoplofty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2017, 01:36 PM   #2
Domcr250

Subframe: Home Made
CC: 1300
Make: Suzuki
ECU: Standard

Do you know the age of the engine and ecu? Only the later G13b's used lambda sensors?

First up I'd check everything is in place and screwed up tight and that the basics are all ok like plugs, fuel and timing.

As standard the car has the ability to tell you what's wrong via a diagnostic light that will flash if you link two pins together...give us a bit more detail and we can help.

Oh, welcome to the world of Suzuki powered mini's by the way.
Domcr250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2017, 09:48 PM   #3
roofchoplofty

Thanks for the reply Domcr250, I've just got hold of a new cap and rotor arm and I'll be changing them at the weekend. I'll check the plugs too. Any ideas how I check the age of the engine. The electric fuel pump is an aftermarket one that's been put in a mpi/sip tank. I've got a spare mpi tank so I'm going to swap it. Everything is all tight and connectors checked and fine. Could you enlighten me on the 2 pin trick please.
I must admit it's a fun drive and I'm we'll pleased with it. We've done a fair few miles in it already.
roofchoplofty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2017, 09:04 AM   #4
Domcr250

CC: 1300
ECU: Standard

Ok, so you can u can tell if it's a mk1 or mk2 by looking at the throttle body, if it's a mk1 then the MAF will be attached directly to the back of the throttle, if it's a mk2 then the MAF will be located further down the inlet, typically attached to the air filter.

So that will get you to a certain level, it's only later mk2's that have the O2 sensors, the best way of working that out is to read the code off the ecu, F5 ECU's are non lambda and I2 ECU's are lambda, these are known as mk2 phase 1 and mk2 phase 2 G13b's.

Did your build include the swift gti speedo cluster? If it did you can see the check engine light in the dash? Let me know and I'll explain how to make the light blink and give you the codes.

I don't think your flat spot is an injection pump issue, when you switch the ignition on can you hear the pump kick in, get to pressure and switch off? If you can it's probably OK.

Does it start from cold and idle ok? The engine uses a cold start valve on the manifold and I have loads of problems with this.

Also, pull one of the plug leads and look for moisture on the leads ... The core plugs can leak in the head, if then turns to moisture and messes up the ignition, you can fix it with some rad sealer normally.

Cheers

Dom
Domcr250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2017, 07:56 PM   #5
miniswift

CC: 1298
ECU: Non good old skool!

Is it you Lee?

If you need service manual for Gti let me know.
I have them in data so bring your USB stick and come over.

You can hear my engine with R1 carbs.

Cheers
Atchi
miniswift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2017, 03:07 AM   #6
99fusion

Location: A funny little country with more special beers per capita than anywhere else

Or if you want you can drop me a pm if you want to download it
It's a scan to pdf, all indexed (thank god for Nitro Pro OCR)

Atchi definitely deserves a visit though, for all the goldmines of info he's dropped here over the years
99fusion is offline   Reply With Quote