16v Mini Club Forums  

Go Back   16v Mini Club Forums > General Public Area > General 16v Mini Chat

Old 29-08-2018, 07:20 PM   #16
Dopeshow

Subframe: Allspeed
Make: Honda

Really appricate the feedback guys. Interesting to see may different opinions given from real life experience. I am still undecided, but I will keep an open mind. I will let you know once i make my mind up.

Cheers
Dopeshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2018, 06:15 AM   #17
MikeR33

Subframe: Other
CC: 3996
Make: Vauxhall
ECU: DTA \ PCS
Send a message via MSN to MikeR33

Wish I could bin off my remote servo, really don't like the feel of it but due to the weight and little\no engine braking it's really helped the braking effort but the feel is horrible. If I had the space a direct servo (ie a physical connection to the brake pedal not a hydraulic one) would likely have been much better but the remote ones are really a last resort I think.
Old 30-08-2018, 07:31 AM   #18
gazwad

Subframe: Home Made
CC: 1796
Make: Rover
ECU: standard

I agree, i've tried remote servo's in the past and never liked them, thats why i went to the effort of making the direct servo fit
gazwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2018, 07:35 AM   #19
MikeR33

Subframe: Other
CC: 3996
Make: Vauxhall
ECU: DTA \ PCS
Send a message via MSN to MikeR33

Indeed, during the massive rebuild i'm going to try and get a remote type servo that's physically linked installed instead even if it compromises on space in the passenger footwell a bit.
Old 30-08-2018, 09:40 AM   #20
99fusion

Location: A funny little country with more special beers per capita than anywhere else
Subframe: Allspeed
Make: Suzuki

Interesting debate, And I've asked myself often the same questions.

I sometimes wondered how the pedal box or pedal assy doesn't crack through fatigue on my mini when I would slam on the brakes driving like an idiot many years ago when I was less sensible and figured I might be better off with a (space eating) servo. A broken brake pedal would definitely not be something you want when racing!!

Not sure that's something ever heard of though.

I would say as above it's a feel and control thing. A servo is a force multiplier through the assistance of vacuum. The rest is dosing that force for the braking required.
If it takes X amount of force at the brakes to lock the wheel, it requires Y amount of force on the brake pedal. The relationship between X and Y changes with the addition of a servo into the system (multiplier in relation to vacuum force or (negative) pressure over a given area to be exact). That's it, nothing more.
Any other adversely affecting areas of that force distribution would be bottlenecks in the system.

So if you have an elephant foot, more likely you will lock the brakes up with a servo. But being humans we can teach ourselves to have mice feet too. It's a personal call on comfort and control.

If all modern cars use servos today, I would reason that not everyone has elephant feet, but for those who do, there's ABS to counter that elephantohuman factor.

We don't have ABS, so ultimately I guess it's a know your braking skills decision. How fast and how well can you pump the brakes in a skid situation with a servo vs without (What abs does today but slower)?

That's how I would break it down rationaly (toilet thinking is great for these questions)...

Sent live from ground floor work toilet

Last edited by 99fusion; 30-08-2018 at 12:56 PM.
99fusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2018, 01:41 PM   #21
edk83

I'm running mgf front brakes and standard rear drums.

I'm going to be converting the rear to discs and fitting a remote servo to the front lines this winter.

I can't lock the front wheels in the dry even pressing as hard as possible, the braking effort is there according to the mot tester, just bloody hard work. This is using an obp pedalbox, normal 0.7 master.
edk83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2018, 07:09 PM   #22
twincamtone

Subframe: Home Made
CC: 1796
Make: Rover
ECU: Standard MEMS3

I won't be without a servo now, makes for smoother braking when I get back in my daily drive
twincamtone is offline   Reply With Quote