cooper_mark

Subframe: Home Made
CC: 1998
Make: Vauxhall
ECU: standard
Default mig welder help

DRAPER 1502T
this is on min setting 1 wire speed 6

When I just pull the trigger (no arc), the wire feeds smoothly and correctly... but as soon as I start welding I can hear the motor pulsing, and the wire feed gets jerky. during the "jerky" part, it is nearly impossible to get a good arc going ....
Each time I would check the tip, etc.... and the wire would feed fine so long as I was feeding in open air... that again, if I was welding, it would slow again

if i turn the power setting from min to max it will weld fine on thicker metal

It is as though it isn't getting enough voltage (starving while arcing).... or something.... I haven't cracked it open yet, but I was hoping someone has experienced this and can give me some good direction.

my beast
cooper_mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 09:04 AM   #2
pompeyal

Subframe: Allspeed
CC: 1600
Make: Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper_mark View Post
DRAPER 1502T
this is on min setting 1 wire speed 6

When I just pull the trigger (no arc), the wire feeds smoothly and correctly... but as soon as I start welding I can hear the motor pulsing, and the wire feed gets jerky. during the "jerky" part, it is nearly impossible to get a good arc going ....
Each time I would check the tip, etc.... and the wire would feed fine so long as I was feeding in open air... that again, if I was welding, it would slow again

if i turn the power setting from min to max it will weld fine on thicker metal

It is as though it isn't getting enough voltage (starving while arcing).... or something.... I haven't cracked it open yet, but I was hoping someone has experienced this and can give me some good direction.
Maybe the earth is not clean enough.
pompeyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 12:36 PM   #3
ardonfast

Subframe: AMT
CC: 2000
ECU: dizzy/webers

Probably the wire has got damp , it messes it up but you can hardly see it on the wire , risk it and buy a new spool ,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=3JhaTwP7uuk
ardonfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 01:37 PM   #4
cooper_mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by pompeyal View Post
Maybe the earth is not clean enough.
Cleaned the metal with grinder and earth is a clamp

my beast
Old 01-04-2019, 01:38 PM   #5
cooper_mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardonfast View Post
Probably the wire has got damp , it messes it up but you can hardly see it on the wire , risk it and buy a new spool ,
Tryed a brand new spoil of wire still the same

my beast
Old 01-04-2019, 01:50 PM   #6
Oz

Subframe: Other
CC: 1595
Make: Honda
ECU: DTA

Is the wire feeder tube twisted when you go to weld ? I was told to keep it as straight as possible so the wire feeds through smoothly.

Is your wire speed too slow ? If it's too slow it will melt too far up the weld wire and then stop arching, more will feed and it will arc again. You can usually feel it at the trigger as like a pulsing.
Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 04:05 PM   #7
bobjonah

CC: 1298
Make: Suzuki

Some of the cheaper wire on the market over here are not consistant, and low wire speed welding is difficult. if you have brand X wire, try a good brand name wire.
bobjonah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 08:48 AM   #8
evolotion

CC: 1400
Make: Rover
ECU: Megasquirt

check your liner and replace the tip, at lower speeds the spool motor has less torque to overcome issues in the torch. when striking an arc the wire will microweld(for want of a better phrase) to whatever passes the welding currency to it, usually the tip and sometimes steel liner if present) and it'll cause stiction only under use. liner and tips are consumable so never hurts to change them!

I modded my Clarke welder with an extra transformer, bridge rectifier, relay and gas valve so the wire feed had a completely independent power supply as the usually have the wire feed wired in series with the welding transformer iirc and as the arc is struck the voltage across the wire feed decreases so you have a little pull back. resulting in you setting the wire feed higher than you'd like for most jobs. that doesn't sound like your issue, bit you may want to investigate it regardless. it was a good modificatiin and may or may not be worthwhile on your machine.

Denis.
evolotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 05:39 PM   #9
mm man

If you or anyone else does have a wire issue for a non gas set up I can’t recommend this wire enough it transformed both of my machines.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Proweltek-G...fsclp_pl_dp_15
mm man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 11:23 AM   #10
Wezg

CC: 2000
Make: Other
ECU: None yet Still planning

Is the wire tension wheel tight enough..? Free wheeling its ok but soon as it hits any tension the wheel slips..? Or have the Wheels worn enough that they cant grip..
Is the new tip the correct size?. 1.2 on 0.6 wire does not arc well..
Is the liner clear enough not snagging or tight..

Sent from my HTC U12 life using Tapatalk
Wezg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 09:28 PM   #11
Marcus Nordblom

Subframe: Allspeed
CC: 1298
Make: Suzuki
ECU: 40mm mikuni rs
Send a message via MSN to Marcus Nordblom

I bought a new hose package or what you call it, transformed my old welder.
Similar problems on low settings, spitting and general pineapplepy welds thicker material ok

Best £40 ever spent
Marcus Nordblom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2019, 08:48 AM   #12
stickystuff

Default mig welder help

See below

Last edited by stickystuff; 27-10-2019 at 08:50 AM.
stickystuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2019, 08:50 AM   #13
stickystuff

Has anyone thought that your wire speed is too high...
because you are on the minimum setting the wire cannot melt quickly enough so you are pushing too much wire through. Wire speed 6 is way too high for your minimum setting. Turn it down to 2-3 and then try it and if it then doesnít feel like itís pooling enough then turn it up half a number until you get a decent weld

It also could be that youíre using too low heat. In welding the hitter you can get the material(without burning through) the better for the wire and strength

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
stickystuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 09:28 PM   #14
B.Bumble

Subframe: Watson
CC: 1396
Make: Rover
ECU: MEMS 3 [MGZR]

There are a couple of things here you need to be aware of and most have been said already.

1. You need a good electrical contact, both earth and welding wire, so the metal should be as clean as you can get it. Paint or oil is a killer to welds. Sometimes it is difficult to get the earth clamp to make a good contact as there might not be much to grip onto. Use a Mole Grip against the bare metal so that it bites in and attach the earth clamp to the Mole. That usually works
2. You seem to be feeding too much wire through at a low current so there is too much electrode to melt and therefore you get the "bounce" where the unmelted electrode wire pushes the torch away from the weld face. Good rule to start with is if your power is at 2, set the feed at 2 to 3. Your setting of 1 and 6 is way way out

It's easy to weld and high current as the electrode melts easier and you have a greater margin for error. Practice on thicker stuff till you get the hang of the welder then experiment with current/feed ratios till you get one that suits the material you are using. Usually car panels of 1 - 1.6 mm steel will happily weld at a power setting of 3 and a feed setting of 3 [maybe lower for both]. From what you say your pinch roller setting is fine as the wire is being fed through the liner OK.

I'm basing what I have told you on my own Mig welder which is a Murex Tradesmig 160. The settings of yours may be different but try and keep feed and power levels the same to start with.
B.Bumble is offline   Reply With Quote