16v Mini Club Forums  

Go Back   16v Mini Club Forums > Builds > Honda Builds

Old 21-05-2016, 08:06 PM   #1
tim_92

Default '89 B16A2 allspeed build - Germany

Hi there,

I've been reading posts in this forum for a couple of months now - which resulted in buying a '89 Mini that is in desperate need to get rebuilt.
As I said, I've read that much posts about this V-Tec Mini thing, I wanted to do this, too.

After having a basic plan about what I need, where I can source it, what to look for and how much it might cost, I started the project.

First of all the car i got. Has been poorly painted in black and got a 1300 engine (which was actually not correctly running).

Got the engine out

Stripped the car and put it on the side to inspect the floor and sand blast it

Unfortunately, the outer sills and some other parts of the body were not in a good state. The whole floor got coated with primer to prevent new rust.

The outer sills were cut out and replaced by the "wide" sills (i also read about the negative aspects of using them, but this was the fastest/easiest solution).

Testing..

While finishing the bodywork, the engine arrived after a long journey from the UK.

Having a brief first look for the dimensions. If I hadn't seen other builds to verify that this engine is going to fit, i wouldn't have believed this.

Next step was to oder the subframe. To avoid custom fees and since the products seemed to be very good, i chose the allspeed frame. The whole transaction was really fast (contact, Billing, shipping) - took in sum about 3 weeks.

Really great product, worth the money.

After about 2 hours of cutting/testing the engine fitted just fine. There are only some small cuts necessary to gain some more clearance - but so far everything looks fine and my biggest concerns are gone.

Next steps will be finishing some clearance issues, getting a Radiator, perhaps checking for a smaller, more compact alternator and decide for a solution concerning the intake manifold (cutting & welding, cutting & silicon hoses - i'm not going to cut the bulkhead, i don't like the idea of perhaps loosing some strength in the structure).

Additionally, the front suspension will be finished as soon as the engine is out of the frame again.

Best regards from Germany

Tim

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 5X mit Tapatalk

Last edited by tim_92; 21-05-2016 at 08:14 PM.
tim_92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2016, 06:02 PM   #2
gonk43

Subframe: Allspeed
CC: 1.6
Make: Other
ECU: Honda 0BD1

best of luck tim.
Just be patient with your build, and do your homework, especially with the round nose mini. Not alot of room in there!
The fun factor when you get it on the road is LARGE!

Regards

Gonk43
gonk43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2016, 12:07 PM   #3
pompeyal

CC: 1600
Make: Honda

Good start Tim, I wouldn't go for a cut with silicon hoses if you are going to use the original manifold, cut and weld is the better option for less trouble later on, its a bit of a task to cut and weld but worth the effort, look here....

http://bristolkitcarclub.co.uk/smf2/...?topic=4389.30

This is what I done with mine, OK its in a kit car but as it was a mini based one all the problems were the same.

I did have all this info on here until the servers went down, I will redo it later...
pompeyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2016, 07:53 AM   #4
tim_92

Small update without pictures:

The intake manifold is now cutted and grinded and currently at the welder.
Due to these changes, there is no more space for the air temp sensor that hits the fuel rail. So it had to be moved.
I will post a picture as soon as I get the intake manifold back.

Gear linkage has been cutted - just need some creative ideas to mount it properly.

Next big issue will be the mount of the clutch master. That will be checked as soon as the intake manifold is attached to the engine and I can check the clearance. Currently, I'm thinking about moving the clutch master to the left and modifying the pedal linkage to apply the clutch force as straight as possible.

@Pompeyal

That are some great pictures of your manifold. Would recommend these for everyone that is about to cut their intake manifolds.
Old 28-05-2016, 03:07 PM   #5
pompeyal

CC: 1600

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim_92 View Post
Small update without pictures:

The intake manifold is now cutted and grinded and currently at the welder.
Due to these changes, there is no more space for the air temp sensor that hits the fuel rail. So it had to be moved.
I will post a picture as soon as I get the intake manifold back.

Gear linkage has been cutted - just need some creative ideas to mount it properly.

Next big issue will be the mount of the clutch master. That will be checked as soon as the intake manifold is attached to the engine and I can check the clearance. Currently, I'm thinking about moving the clutch master to the left and modifying the pedal linkage to apply the clutch force as straight as possible.

@Pompeyal

That are some great pictures of your manifold. Would recommend these for everyone that is about to cut their intake manifolds.
If you go through my diary it shows how I got over the problem of the temp sensor and how I cut and fitted the gear linkage, as I said before the kit car was originally mini based using all mini parts and all the problems you mini boys get I had also, I hope you can find more useful ideas from what I have shown...
pompeyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2016, 04:12 PM   #6
tim_92

Hi there,

Small Update from my side.
Intake manifold is back from the welder. Since my father managed to get a quite aggressiv angle we're lucky that the original Honda clutch master will fit without any additional modification. That means we only have to drill two mounting holes and probably have to adjust the length of the linkage between Pedal and Clutch Master.

Here's a picture including the new position of the temperature sensor.

During the weekend i managed to finish the wiring - decided to go for a hybrid loom, mixing Mini and Honda looms. Engine loom and wiring to the ecu and fuel pump relais will be pure Honda. The rest (mainly lights and ignition Switch) will stay Mini. Both looms will meet up at a fuse box. That will be most propably from a Golf II, but I'm not absolutely sure about that.

Next step is to attach the loom to the engine, manage to get power to everything needed and try to start the engine. Therefore, the fuel pump relais and ecu is missing (should hopefully arrive soon).
Aditionally, the oxygen sensor has to be relocated since its hitting the allspeed frame.

That's it for the moment.

Old 06-06-2016, 05:05 PM   #7
tim_92

Not that much progress during the last days.
Still waiting for the ecu and need to finish the wiring.

I'm currently facing a problem: the downpipe is hitting the allspeed subframe (maybe its the wrong word - it's the part of the exhaust that is directly connected to the exhaust manifold and contains the oxygen sensor). It is hitting the mounting plate of the rear engine mount.
Has anyone had the same problems and if so, how did you solve it?

I'm currently thinking about heating up and bending the exhaust but I suppose it's gonna be quite tough to reach the correct temperature (the pipe is double-walled at that location).

Best regards
Tim
Old 07-06-2016, 06:48 AM   #8
cedric998

hi tim,

welcome and good luck with your build

where are you situated in germany ??
i'm also german and i am near europa park in the south west.

rgds
chris
cedric998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 01:55 PM   #9
Oz

Subframe: Other
CC: 1595
ECU: DTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedric998 View Post
i am near europa park
Blimey, my parents took me there a few times when I was a kid when on our European camping holidays, by the Rhine IIRC, close to border with France ?
Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 02:51 AM   #10
Harley

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim_92 View Post
I'm currently facing a problem: the downpipe is hitting the allspeed subframe (maybe its the wrong word - it's the part of the exhaust that is directly connected to the exhaust manifold and contains the oxygen sensor). It is hitting the mounting plate of the rear engine mount.
Has anyone had the same problems and if so, how did you solve it?

I'm currently thinking about heating up and bending the exhaust but I suppose it's gonna be quite tough to reach the correct temperature (the pipe is double-walled at that location).

I've found that for small segments you can heat the outer tube up and flatten it with a hammer quite easily for an extra 10mm of clearance if it helps.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 08:32 PM   #11
tim_92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
I've found that for small segments you can heat the outer tube up and flatten it with a hammer quite easily for an extra 10mm of clearance if it helps.
Unfortunately the area of the oxygen sensor/flange is hitting the rear engine mounting plate of the frame. Still not sure how to fix it.

@Chris
I'm located about 60km north Frankfurt.
Did you succeed in getting a VTEC Mini road legal?

Old 09-06-2016, 02:33 PM   #12
Oz

Subframe: Other
CC: 1595
ECU: DTA

I'm not sure if this is any assistance but I thought that you needed to cut and re-weld the exhaust by 90 degrees so that the o2 sensor cleared the Allspeed frame ?
Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2016, 05:44 PM   #13
tim_92

Small update - again, no photos (my phone decided to stop working, no possibility to recover any pictures..).

Progress:

- Wiring is finished so far
- Waiting for the ecu (a p28 that will be chipped with a p30 basemap)
- Waiting for the chip kit
- New water pump, timing belt, clutch, oil filter and sparks for the engine
- Allspeed subframe is away for powder coating
- Rear subframe rebuild finished (drums and backing plates painted, new brakes and bearings)

Next steps:

- Continue with cutting the inner wings
- Attach rear subframe to the car
- Complete the front subframe with the engine and suspension
- Attach it to the car, get gas to the engine and fire it up
- Manage to fix the exhaust/cat issue to continue building an exhaust system

That should be enough for the next weeks

Best regards
Tim

Last edited by tim_92; 16-06-2016 at 05:57 PM.
Old 21-06-2016, 08:06 PM   #14
tim_92

One picture of what took me several hours during a weekend.
While finishing the wiring at the car I realized I don't really need an additional relay for the v-tec solenoid.

Now everything is set-up. I finally received my P28 ecu and am currently waiting for the chip kit to install.

Another picture of the alternator mount. Subframe is still away for powder coating, will be interesting to see if it all fits in the roundnose.

Last edited by tim_92; 22-06-2016 at 07:56 PM.
Old 28-06-2016, 06:13 PM   #15
tim_92

An update of what happened today:

- frame came back from powder coating
- front suspension and engine fitted in frame
- frame within the engine bay (I don't know why, but the first time we test-fitted the frame it was much easier)

Afterwards we attached the intake & exhaust manifold to the engine and wired everything up.

To get gas to the engine I'm using a MPI fuel tank and pump - worked like a charm (is a stronger pump required for running a standard b16a2 - I'm thinking about missing pumping performance especially in higher revs?).
Engine fired up right at the start.

Unfortunately I got an engine with a Map sensor attached to the chassi, so there is no plug and map sensor attached to the throttle body. My "interior loom" is from another car that used to have a map sensor integrated with the engine loom.

So currently the engine is running without a map sensor attached - ordered a sensor and a mounting plate, just need to find the missing wires and a plug.

Some information that I'm still looking for:

- Which exhaust pipe diameter do you recommend for a standard b16a2? I have struggle to find it within the internet - might be 2" oder 2.5", can't figure it out.

Setup will be all standard:
- standard intake/exhaust manifold
- chipped p28 with p30 basemap (no mods planned)
- standard catalysator
Just received the information: standard should be like 2" - thank you keitht

- Position of the alternator does not work - the bracket is hitting the subframe and the alternator would possibly hit the front. I'm looking for a somewhat small alternator, any recommendations welcome ...

Best regards
Tim

Last edited by tim_92; 28-06-2016 at 06:17 PM.