Go Back   16v Mini Club Forums > General Public Area > Rover Chat

Old 01-10-2019, 01:45 PM   #1
B.Bumble

Subframe: Watson
CC: 1396
Make: Rover
ECU: MEMS 3 [MGZR]
Default WARNING Potential headlight failure

The guys at Project Binky are back with ep26 and in this episode they reveal a potential headlight failure issue. If you are using a light switch stalk from an MGZR/Rover25/Honda you might find that both elements of the halogen bulb are ON when full beam is selected and this could cause the elements to overheat and fail. On a normal Mini [if there is such a thing] when full beam is selected, the dip element switches off. Because the MG/Rover/Honda had twin headlights and therefore two bulbs, the dip stays on with the main which is not a problem there but could be for the single bulb.
They have come up with a simple solution, change the Blue wire on the stalk multi plug to a pin that is switched off when main beam is selected. On mine I moved the blue wire one space along on the same side [it can only go one way] and this works [see photos]
Get onto Youtube and see Ep26 of Project Binky for yourselves.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...6091cbba_z.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...85c3086f_z.jpg

Last edited by B.Bumble; 01-10-2019 at 01:48 PM. Reason: update flicker image address
B.Bumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 06:27 PM   #2
AGoaty

CC: 1796
ECU: Standard

Not being funny but there is less current running through the ZR type switch when using the stock fuse box (as I did) with a set of relays in it.

On a Mini, the full power of the lights go through the switch, which arcs and fails in time.

I suspect they haven't wired it correctly.

Last edited by AGoaty; 01-10-2019 at 06:30 PM.
AGoaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 06:31 PM   #3
Chris16v

Subframe: Home Made
CC: 1.8 t
ECU: Emerald K6

I watched this last night and thought about doing this.
Chris16v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 06:37 PM   #4
B.Bumble

CC: 1396
ECU: MEMS 3 [MGZR]

It wasn't the wiring at fault Andrew it was the way the plug was wired to suit the MGZR. When on full beam a live feed was being sent to the full beam AND the dip beam. The current passing through the wires if fine I agree with you there, it's the fact that both elements in the single halogen bulb are on at the same time could lead to overheating of the bulb and a possibility of subsequent failure. They had looked at the wiring and relays to see what could be done but it was the guys at Honda UK who told them that it was the switch that controlled the direction and that there was an alternative pin position for a single bulb setup. Try it yourself. Take off a lamp unit and stick a bulb in the connector and see if both elements come on during main beam. If you want to change it, the above method will do it. If you don't, your decision, carry a torch in the car just in case.
B.Bumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 07:06 PM   #5
AGoaty

CC: 1796
ECU: Standard

Oh ok.

When I bought Scorpion, if anyone remembers both headlights had the plug connectors melted inside the headlight bowls. I assume this could be caused by a similar fault. I assumed that it was due to the thin wires that had been used to earth them but hasn't been out on the road since fitting thicker ones. I am replacing the entire loom so hopefully should be ok.

I don't have a car to test this on currently but will surely look into it once I get to that stage.
Old 02-10-2019, 07:56 PM   #6
Ronski

Subframe: Other
CC: 1995
Make: Other

You say the current is OK, but that may well not be the case for the earth wire - its common to both elements. With both elements on a standard H4 would draw around 10amps, so you have the additional heat from both elements, and 10 amps going down the earth, if the connectors old it might not have a good connection either, and generate yet more heat leading to melted plugs, and possibly the earth wire.

If someone has fitted higher wattage bulbs, then the earth will be under much higher current, and the bulb with both elements on will generate even more heat as well.

Another great Binky episode, 40 minutes flew by.

Last edited by Ronski; 02-10-2019 at 07:59 PM.
Ronski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 09:03 AM   #7
gadget555

CC: 1800
ECU: K maps 160 Race

When I made my lights loom I made sure that the wires were of suitable size to carry the current for the max size bulbs that I could fit, dim/dip 90/130 & spots both sets 130w bulbs, also they are all run through relays because I'm using savage switches and they wouldn't take the power that would be drawn through them. Upto now apart from a school boy error of missing a connection through a (chock block) connector everythings fine.
gadget555 is offline   Reply With Quote