Go Back   16v Mini Club Forums > General Public Area > Rover Chat

Old 29-04-2018, 11:28 AM   #1
B.Bumble

Subframe: Watson
CC: 1396
Make: Rover
ECU: MEMS 3 [MGZR]
Default Immobiliser issues with Pektron

Bumble passed her MoT on Tuesday no problem. Took her to Aberdeen on Thursday [250 ml round trip] a couple of issues but nothing major. Went to start it this morning and NOTHING!! Got the engine warning light [on because of no second lambda] and Low Coolant warning for its 5 seconds but nothing else. No Oil, or ignition lights and not even a click when trying to start. I have been a bit suspect of the alarm as I donít get a chirp or indicator flash when I set it but the LED comes on and I can hear a click from the Pektron unit if sitting in the car and setting the alarm but no click when I disarm it. Any suggestions?????? The carís ready to go but I canít get it to switch on. Remember itís the Pektron systemI'm using
B.Bumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2018, 07:32 AM   #2
AGoaty

CC: 1796
ECU: Standard

I personally don't think that is an immobiliser issue. The oil and battery lights should work irrespective of the immobiliser. I suggest looking at the fuses or wiring, in particular the earth's.

The fact it's a Pektron system makes no difference to it's setup or use. You may find once you get power again, you have to resynchronise the fob by the lock 5 times then unlock.

Last edited by AGoaty; 30-04-2018 at 07:37 AM.
AGoaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2018, 08:55 AM   #3
B.Bumble

Thanks Andrew. I tried the 5 times with the fob but it made no difference and the LED seemed to go off anyway. I was thinking along similar lines re fuses while lying in bed last night. I had already checked most of the obviously linked fuses yesterday but will check ALL today. My fuse box is in the drivers footwell by the steering column and I've got to hang upside down to get at it and these tiny micro fuses are a nightmare to get hold of. Didn't think of the earth angle though! Will check that out.
Old 01-05-2018, 01:23 PM   #4
B.Bumble

Checked out all the fuses inside and all OK. Main fuses check out OK and fuse links look intact. Checked under the car to see if anything came loose and found an oil leak. I had changed the filter head to accommodate the two oil switches and it looks like the gasket has given out and has been spraying oil all over the alternator and it's now soaked in new clean oil. Not sure this is the root of the problem but it will need sorted anyway. I had been travelling at 70ish all the way home [120 miles] so the oil was blowing under the car but would have been hitting the alternator while driving through town and had a chance to "soak in" over the two days in the garage.
Old 02-05-2018, 06:18 PM   #5
B.Bumble

Sorted! Nothing to do with the alternator. The oil spray hadn't penetrated into the innards. It was the engine earth that I had forgotten to attach during the last refit. I have no idea how it managed to start and run through it's MoT and up and back to Aberdeen without a hiccup. Fitted an earth strap from the starter bracket to the body and now she's singing sweetly. Thanks again Andrew. On the money with info as usual.
Old 03-05-2018, 12:53 AM   #6
AGoaty

CC: 1796
ECU: Standard

Glad this is sorted. Always a pleasure.