16v Mini Club Forums  

Go Back   16v Mini Club Forums > General Public Area > Toyota Chat

Old 06-04-2014, 08:59 PM   #1
longlivekel

Subframe: Other
Default Is this a large enough radiator for a rear engine setup?

Hey guys,
Rear engine toyota 1.5 1nzfe setup, is this a big enough 2 row radiator if mounted in the front?
Of course I will use the highest CFM spal fan(s) i can fit.

Dimensions : 11"(H) X 17 1/2"(W)

Thanks
longlivekel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 06:31 AM   #2
MattG
Administrator

Subframe: Allspeed
CC: 2000
Make: Vauxhall
ECU: Megasquirt

give it a go
MattG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 07:46 AM   #3
Beavis

Subframe: Home Made
CC: 1500cc
Make: Toyota
ECU: Link Storm

when you compare it to the stock 1nz-fe rad thats huge i would be more worried about the pump to get the water to the front and back again
Old 07-04-2014, 01:28 PM   #4
longlivekel

Beavis,
I was worried about that too. I could consider an inline electric pump located at the front. I wonder if there is a pulley upgrade or high volume pump available for the 1nzfe. The pulley upgrade would just be a larger pulley.
Any other suggestions?
Old 07-04-2014, 06:23 PM   #5
Beavis

you talked about a mr2 pump is that suitable ? i dont think there would be any upgrade pumps for the 1nz-fe it might be better to put a http://www.daviescraig.com.au/ pump at the front on the cold return to the motor and get a http://www.toyboxracingstore.com/sho....tIXXRa0w.dpbs blanking plate for the pump , oh yer there a company called toyboxracing over your way that hots up 1nz-fe 600 bhp and so on . I would try it with the stock pump unless you are going to put bucket loads of extra hp into it
Old 07-04-2014, 07:41 PM   #6
longlivekel

I agree. Try the stock and then go from there.
HA.. 100 dollars for a blanking plate!! I dont htink so!
i can buy an electric secondary pump for 100 bux!!!
haha
Old 08-04-2014, 05:33 AM   #7
Beavis

yer i knw there stuff is a little steepy
Old 08-04-2014, 12:32 PM   #8
MiniLandy

CC: 1400
Make: Rover
ECU: Megajolt

Why would you worry about the pump being able to push the water to the front and back again? The pump pushes a fixed volume of water at any given rpm, it doesn't see how far the coolant moves.

Plenty of engines use the same water pumps for both front and mid mounted car layouts.
MiniLandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 01:22 PM   #9
Birdman

ECU: Motronic 2.5 - Group N Chip

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniLandy View Post
Why would you worry about the pump being able to push the water to the front and back again? The pump pushes a fixed volume of water at any given rpm, it doesn't see how far the coolant moves.

Plenty of engines use the same water pumps for both front and mid mounted car layouts.
Because pumps are sized for their application when designed. Now your asking the std mechanical pump to deal with a much bigger coolant circuit and volume. Otherwise your saying that any old size of pump will do, which just doesn't work. Not so much of a problem when the motor is doing mid to higher rpm, but at low speeds in traffic when there is little cooling effect other than electric fans that's when you might run into issues. The speed of the coolant flowing around the circuit is important too, so that it flows through the rad again.

This is how a davies craig pump electric pump and controller works. You set the temperature and the controller works out and controls the speed and efficiency of the pump, so as to keep the coolant and the set temperature, but not run faster than needed. Mechanical water pumps use a lot of horsepower as rpm increases.
Old 08-04-2014, 03:20 PM   #10
MiniLandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdman View Post
Now your asking the std mechanical pump to deal with a much bigger coolant circuit and volume.
The volume of water moved through the engine isn't going to change just because the overall volume has increased, surely?

The engine doesn't care how big the total volume of coolant is, it just cares that the coolant volume passing through it is sufficient to absorb enough heat from the engine. You could stick the inlet and outlet hoses of the coolant system into a couple of swimming pools if you like, I can't see how it would put more strain on the pump.
Old 08-04-2014, 04:26 PM   #11
Birdman

Quote:
The volume of water moved through the engine isn't going to change just because the overall volume has increased, surely?

The engine doesn't care how big the total volume of coolant is, it just cares that the coolant volume passing through it is sufficient to absorb enough heat from the engine. You could stick the inlet and outlet hoses of the coolant system into a couple of swimming pools if you like, I can't see how it would put more strain on the pump.
Just doesn't work like that. Otherwise what your saying is that we could just use an "A" series water pump on a Chevrolet V8 and expect it to cope with a larger volume of coolant and bigger circuit / bigger radiator, more bends etc etc and still get the job done.

Mechanical automotive water pumps are centrifugal. The impeller has been sized to the coolant circuit when the engine and cooling system were designed. The designer will have calculated the flow rate and the amount of coolant that the pump needs to circulate in a given time to adequately cool the engine under all operating conditions. If it's just a little bit more piping then OK the pump may cope, but be less efficient. If we are now taking about having an engine in the back and pipework up to a front mounted radiator and then all the way back to the engine again, that's a lot bigger a system.

If the pump was electrical then you can increase the pump speed independent of engine rpm ( like davies craig), but the cars mechanical pump is driven off the cambelt or waterpump belt, so only pumps more when rpm increases. At idle these pumps are highly inefficient. At higher speeds they sap lots of horsepower.
Old 08-04-2014, 04:45 PM   #12
MiniLandy

That's not even remotely what i'm saying. I'm saying the size of the pump is proportionate to the engine's cooling needs, not the volume of coolant in the system. For example, the MGZR (K series engine, front mounted) uses the same pump as the MGTF (K series, mid mounted). There are also loads of people on here with mid mounted engines, I don't recall any major cooling bother?
Old 08-04-2014, 05:41 PM   #13
Birdman

Quote:
That's not even remotely what i'm saying. I'm saying the size of the pump is proportionate to the engine's cooling needs, not the volume of coolant in the system. For example, the MGZR (K series engine, front mounted) uses the same pump as the MGTF (K series, mid mounted). There are also loads of people on here with mid mounted engines, I don't recall any major cooling bother?
OK , but now you're talking about K series again, which is used in both mid and front engine setup from factory. Maybe Rover calculated the pump flow rate and it was enough to satisfy both setups, But these guys are talking about a Toyota engine and that's probably why they suggested an MR2 pump? Maybe?
Old 08-04-2014, 06:19 PM   #14
MiniLandy

Well, short of doing an experiment where all variables are controlled apart from the coolant volume, and we measure the flow rate, i don't think we'll get an answer anytime soon.

Electric pump sounds good though, should negate the need for a thermostat.
Old 08-04-2014, 07:04 PM   #15
longlivekel

I forget about this thread for a day and this is what it goes to! haha
you guys have great points.
lets think bout this for a second.. The 2000-06 MR2-s has a standard water pump. 1zzfe 1.8 liter engine. Yes slightly larger than a 1.5 but they leave it stock to pump coolant to the front.
Just something to gnaw on