Go Back   16v Mini Club Forums > Builds > Suzuki Builds

Old 22-09-2012, 07:32 AM   #1
Phatwiji

Subframe: Home Made
CC: 1300
Make: Suzuki
ECU: Standard
Default Suzuki Mayfair project

Hi guys I thought it was the right time to start up a thread here as my project has reached the stage where I will be attempting to fit a Suzuki engine. I will start by introducing myself my name is Will and I am doing this project as some sort of weird rehabilitation exercise, as in 2007 I suffered a serious head injury and have been recovering slowly ever since. There are a few hangovers from this that will affect the mini project the main of which is memory. That is part of the reason I am wanting to keep a diary of everything I do on this project because in years to come I quite literally wont remember. But enough about me on to the car easiest thing to say there is If you want to know about the mini I have and am working on look at my other build diary on minifinity,

http://www.minifinity.com/forum/view...?f=186&t=91117

there is a lot there I know and a lot of it I am sure is of no interest to most people.

I wanted a parallel diary to run here because I will have lots of questions about fitting my Suzuki engine and the finity guys wont be as much help there as you lot will be (I hope).

The engine I am planning to fit is a G13BA and I know that technically that's an 8 valve not 16 valve but as a first attempt It is a lot less complicated than the other engine I have which is a G13BB as it does not need a computer to make it run. I may install the BB at a later date as it is a more powerful and sophisticated engine. To be honest I am not doing this to get a super powerful engine in my mini, I just want something a little more modern and efficient (and yes faster) than the post war relic that is the A series engines.

My 1st car was a mini my 2nd and 3rd cars were both swifts, and ever since then I have wanted to combine the two.

My BA arrived yesterday and I am starting to think about the subframe, I have no intention buying one (thats no fun) and I am learning to weld on this project so I need to mod up the subframe I have (a standard round nose mini subframe.), Any hints.tips or advice at this stage would be very welcome.

Last edited by Phatwiji; 18-10-2012 at 08:59 PM.
Phatwiji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2012, 08:35 PM   #2
miniswift

CC: 1298
ECU: Non good old skool!

Hi,

Welcome! Sorry to hear what has happen to you. But keep it up and live with what you got and enjoy as much as you can. Life is too short!

I think first advice will be to make a jig which is must. Also, take in what everyone else is using as design for yours. So you are using Jimny engine G13BB? If you keep G13BA, you can fit G16 cylinder head which has bigger port so it will flow better.

Keep it up and let us know how you get on.

Cheers
Atchi
miniswift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2012, 11:32 AM   #3
Phatwiji

I have 2 suzuki engines, first is a G13BB from a wagon R+ but that has no gearbox and needs an ECU. Second is a G13BA from a swift, I got the gearbox and everything with that, and it wont need a computer to run it.

I have been reading up on the subframes others have built and yes a jig does seem the way to go.
Old 23-09-2012, 09:15 PM   #4
miniswift

If you fit G16 carbs dizzy from AWD Swift. You won't need ECU as they run with carbs.
They fit G13B as well so it will be good back up plan just in case you can't get hold of wiring harness and ECU. Then again, if you ask people nicely, we tend to have them in our stock!

You must put where you are!

Cheers
Atchi
Old 25-09-2012, 07:32 PM   #5
Phatwiji

Atchi, I was looking and I like your cut down sump! I may have a go at that myself.
Old 01-10-2012, 02:59 PM   #6
Phatwiji

Today I built myself a jig for my subframe out of a spare scaffolding trestle that was kicking about. It ended up practically building itself, I hope it is up to scratch (looks like it will do the job to me.).

Old 03-10-2012, 11:59 AM   #7
Phatwiji

As a start to the new subframe I have modified the lower arm mounts ready for bits to be cut off of the frame to make space, it also seemed a fairly safe place to start. It all looks a little messy but that is a lot to do with the fact I was using flux cored wire, I plan to tidy things up a bit at a later date.

I guess the next step is to offer the engine up and decide what need to be cut off.
Old 03-10-2012, 09:11 PM   #8
Marcus Nordblom

Subframe: Allspeed
ECU: 40mm mikuni rs
Send a message via MSN to Marcus Nordblom

welcome to the suzuki gang Will

if you run into problems just ask, the boys on here nows just about everything
Marcus Nordblom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:33 AM   #9
Captain Slog

Welcome Will

I also had a head injury some years ago! It takes time to recover - I still have no short term memory and battle with face recognition. I know how it is coping with the frustrations and am sure that this project will be good for you. Most of all, enjoy it!

Good luck
Mark
Old 04-10-2012, 10:17 AM   #10
DVO

ECU: Chipped

Maybe a small advice; work from the top down on the frame. I also started out with the bottom arms first time and messed up the alignment of the suspension.

Dennis
DVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:32 PM   #11
Phatwiji

Hi Mark, I am sorry to hear that you have also suffered. It is very strange to damage mental attributes you didn't even realise you possessed isnt it. I was very lucky in that in a controlled and familiar environment I am still able to function (just about) as the person I was (provided I am well rested and not distracted and not hungry and....) well maybe not that lucky lol. But I do find this project immensely helpful and since starting it earlier this year have been feeling much more like myself again. I guess you could say that as this project is something I have wanted to do since I was a kid that I am in fact a lucky man to find myself in the position of not only having the time, but it actually being the best thing for me. Well thats how I'm looking at it anyway.

Dennis, that had occurred to me and so I was careful to use the original pins to line it all up. That is one of the reasons I wanted to do it first before cutting off the bits I would need to get the alignment right.

I did get round to offering up the engine. If it wasnt for the fact I know some of you guys have done it I would seriously wonder if its going to fit! It looks much to big

But I pressed on and cut it up until it looked like this

I have some steel on the way to start sticking bits back on next time but thats all for now.

Cya
Old 05-10-2012, 10:24 AM   #12
DVO

ECU: Chipped

In fact the Suzuki engine is small compared to for example a Red Top Vauxhall and those they also manage to fit

Dennis
DVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 02:36 PM   #13
Marcus Nordblom

Subframe: Allspeed
ECU: 40mm mikuni rs
Send a message via MSN to Marcus Nordblom

try to get the engine quite high for god ground clearance,
- if you go for a slammed car that is
Marcus Nordblom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:19 PM   #14
miniswift

Hi,

You will need to mod right hand side of your last photo for the gearbox clearance.
You are using mk2 gearbox so you will need to make gearbox mount also.

Good luck!
cheers
Atchi
Old 07-10-2012, 08:58 AM   #15
Phatwiji

Hi,

I am fairly happy now that I have cut enough away for the engine to sit right. With the engine hanging in place there is at least 20mm of clearance all round and the drive shafts line up like this...

and

and yes Atchi I did need to cut a bit away for the gearbox...

I am sure there will be work to do with the engine mounts but I am not tackling that yet, I want to remake the subframe first.

I wont be going for a very very low ride height but yes I do want good clearance, we live in a world of speed bumps!