16v Mini Club Forums  

Go Back   16v Mini Club Forums > Builds > Other Mini Builds

Old 08-08-2013, 10:03 AM   #106
miniphile

Subframe: Other
CC: 2000
Make: Other
ECU: standard nissan ecu

thanks for the list general lots of interesting specs (my car originally could do 0-60 in only 27 seconds ill have to improve on that )
but it has no details of the kerb weights of the cars from the late 90's and they are most likely to be the heaviest. weight matters because of the engineering requirements that i have are that the original tare/kerb weight of the car multiplied by (2.5 for turbo and 3 for n/a) gives the largest engine capacity in cc that i am allowed to fit. that list said that the heaviest variety is 737kg so that means that i could fit a 1842.5cc turbo engine or a 2211cc n/a engine. so i need to find the heaviest variety that is the closest to 800kg (i know its a long shot) my engineer will be happy as long as its close to the mark. but if i cant get it there then i still have a few options
*get a n/a sr20 and give it some trumpets on the quad throttle bodies and enjoy the sweet sound
*get a ca18 turbo engine and make an adapter to fit the awd box
*get a honda crv box and fit a f20c
these options are in the order of preference as i can get a n/a sr20 for a few hundred dollars where to change over to a Honda setup would he heading towards $10,000 ish (that is a estimation equal to my budget)
there might be a few other options but i would rather just stick with what i have if im allowed
Old 08-08-2013, 02:38 PM   #107
Kaison

If that's the case, perhaps a B18C4 with a turbo. The amount of boost those engines can take, and the power they give is very appealing to me. - The CRV gearbox fits on as standard, and your cc for turbo applications is still under the limit @ 1797cc

I think you'll struggle with an F20C, it's physically very large for a 1997cc engine, and MUCH heavier than the K20A engines. - It's also VERY expensive in any part of the world.

Personally, for weight of things, the SR20DE is a bit of a pig for it's output. I'm sure you could tune it for more but as standard the K20A has more HP, more torque and it revs higher (Same bore and stroke from memory).
Kaison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 04:34 AM   #108
miniphile

i would actually be going sr20ve to make it a little more rev friendly. its also just to take the easy way as i have the setup already apart from the head and the high comp pistons but its all up to the engineer in the end. so engine changes at the moment are only a what if thing.
on another note its my 30th birthday today most notable gifts where gift vouchers for the local auto shop a torque wrench and a ticket to go drive a rally car, but it was a bit depressing thinking that i got the mini when i was 14 and its still in bits nothing a bit of fabrication cant fix i guess...
Old 10-09-2013, 11:29 AM   #109
Hoody99

Hope you had a good birthday mate just read this whole build and I'm gobsmaked lol epic fab skills. Any more progress
Hoody99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2013, 02:01 AM   #110
miniphile

i have been working on the shed more than the car i sorted out a lot of stuff that did not need to be in the way but there is more that needs doing. i have acquired a new set of lights for the shed (at the best price of "Thanks Dad") i just need to find some money to get the electriton to come and wire them in for me but until then i have started on the air system photos to come when i have finished it. i still have to make a steel roof truss then when its all finished i might line the roof to stop condensation during winter dripping black stuff on everything and hope to stop the heat during summer.
Old 13-10-2016, 01:37 AM   #111
miniphile

WOW this is a serious build. Just read the whole thing and WOW. It would be good to see the thing finished...
well i guess i better have a go at this thing again i have been finishing up my shed and getting it sorted with lots of lights and power points both regular and 3 phase 😆 now i have to make the decision of if i should gut the shell and start again with a chromoly tube chassis and rollcage intergrated to the shell or continue with the heavy setup that i currently have? Keeping in mind that i have already cut out the back half and only half built the front so far. Oh i also have to put in a new floorpan in the front for engineering and there is only about 10 days work in the chassis at the moment.

Anyway feel free to chime in with constructive suggestions about the construction and ill be working on the chassis by the end of the month either way

"I'm not dead yet" *monty python
Old 25-10-2016, 10:23 AM   #112
miniphile

ok so i have been building up my shed to a usable area but i have also been working on the mini... kinda
remember the rear suspension jig?
it was a long time ago so here is a refresher

well i dragged it into the house and started measuring it up and dialing it into sketchup and ended up with

then i put the frame back in the shed and dragged the mini inside... no not really the wife would of killed me i did a lot of measurments and came up with a design that fits inside the shell and picks up all the necessary suspension points.

there are still a lot of tubes missing from this design but it allows me to calculate the main frame and order the steel now if i go with chromoly then it will be around $2500 and i have to get someone to do the bending for me or i could go mild steel and get it done for $800 i can do the bending myself but it will be twice the weight.
any thoughts?
Old 25-10-2016, 10:33 AM   #113
MattG
Administrator

Subframe: Allspeed
Make: Vauxhall
ECU: Megasquirt

if you got the money go for it .. but seen so many projects stumble because people gone to big in there build... but this looks like a long term build regardless
MattG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2016, 10:55 AM   #114
miniphile

I dont really have the money for it at the moment but i like to do things right the first time. so please don't take note of the fact that this will be the second chassis built for this car and it has never seen the road. As for being a long term build April marks 20 years that i have been tinkering with this car so i would like to have it running in 6 months for that milestone.
So in order to get it running i already have most all the parts i just need the steel so I'm thinking i might get it in 2 lots to keep the price managable. But that means that ill have to do two trips to pick it up (600km round trip) and i wont be able to to do any final welding any of it until i have the second lot installed.
Old 18-02-2017, 05:25 PM   #115
robert_paull

Well this is the most ridiculous build I have ever seen

And I absolutely love.)
robert_paull is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awd, gti-r, gtir, roundnose