16v Mini Club Forums  

Go Back   16v Mini Club Forums > General Public Area > Honda Chat

Old 07-06-2019, 07:25 AM   #1
Castilly

Default Easiest Way to Wire

Hi all, seeking some advice. I have a '93 JDM Rover Mini and a '96 Integra GSR B18C1. I have the stock OBD2 P72 ECU that came with the car but I don't have the full wiring harness. All I have is the connections from the engine to the ECU. I don't have the dash connections, the lights, or the ABS (not necessary). I do have the stock engine relays and fuse box thats located inside the engine bay of the GSR

The goal will be to go the hondata route so I'll need an OBD1. First question is should I go with an OBD1 P72 from another GSR or just get a cheaper P28. I'm thinking I can get away with the cheaper P28 because I won't be using the stock GSR intake so won't need to control the secondary runners. The drawback is the P72 has input for knock sensors but the P28 does not. Is this something that I can benefit from or is it not necessary?

Second question is do I try to keep the Mini wiring harness to control the car and just have the Honda ECU control the engine functions or have the Honda ECU do everything? I don't have the dash from the Integra. I want to get aftermarket gauges that will stay as close to stock size and appearance as possible.

Lastly, since I don't have the full wirinig harness should I just buy one from minitec or rywire?

I'm shooting for the easiest route and feel a bit overwhelmed with all the different ways this can be done. Any help or guidance is greatly appreciated. I'm still 1-2 months out from actually starting to do the wiring but if I need to buy parts I'd rather do it sooner rather than later to avoid delays in the build.
Castilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 07:28 AM   #2
hebby

Subframe: Watson
CC: 1.8
Make: Honda
ECU: standard

https://www.facebook.com/VDM-Motorsp...4426846954037/

I contacted this company on Facebook & they sorted everything out for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hebby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 08:27 PM   #3
evo7

CC: 1797

I’ll be going via the Vdm motorsport route too, haven’t gotten to that point yet , still need to strip the civic but they’ve been more than helpful so far with advice etc.
evo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 11:32 PM   #4
hebby

Best thing I ever did to be honest, I got so stressed out trying to do it myself thinking all the time that if I get it wrong it may not start all because of one wire Iíve cut wrong...or worse still it sets on fire ...so I sent it off a week later it came back, started first time

Old 13-06-2019, 07:08 AM   #5
Castilly

will they be willing to work with me in the US?
Old 13-06-2019, 08:18 AM   #6
hebby

Yeah I would have thought so, itís only the postal issue after all...send him an email & find out

Old 15-06-2019, 01:07 AM   #7
250ptm

Subframe: Other
CC: 1600
ECU: odb1

Since you live in the States I would use the available US sources.

Take a look at Hamotorsports or Moates for an ECU and a harness conversion kit to run an ODB1 ecu to your ODB2 harness from the engine. IMHO you should use a chipped P28 ECU with either Neptune or Hondata.

The choice between the two really depends on the availability of a reliable tuner in your area experienced with this software or whether you’re prepared to go it alone. Personally use Hondata.

For a Wiring harness: From ECU to the Engine it can be separate harness except for the Vss (speedo signal) which the ecu needs. Cant comment on either Rywire or Minitec but imagine someone else can.

I wired mine using the diagram from Wannago on this site,

http://www.taktik.co.nz/Mini1/misc/M...ingDiagram.pdf

and since you already have the harness from the engine to ECU you may want to take a look at it.

In my case I also changed the entire mini harness (from Keep It Clean Wiring) which is similar to a Painless wiring harness. See (summit racing)

Regardless of your choice, you will still probably have to do some basic wiring, unless you get an auto-electrician or someone else involved.

if youre close enough go to Colorado 24th to 27th june mini meet, there will be other vtec owners there.

Forgot to add most tuners disable the knock sensor in the software!

Last edited by 250ptm; 15-06-2019 at 07:06 AM. Reason: knock sensor disabled
250ptm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2019, 01:45 PM   #8
Castilly

I wish I knew about the Colorado meet sooner, I would def like to go and check out everyone elses work. Did you use the honda fuses and relays? Thanks for the info.
Old Yesterday, 12:05 AM   #9
250ptm

Subframe: Other
CC: 1600
ECU: odb1

Only honda relay I used was the start relay. all other relays and fuses were aftermarket.