View Single Post
Old 15-05-2017, 10:24 AM   #1
AGoaty

Subframe: Watson
CC: 1796
Make: Rover
ECU: Standard
Default Project Scorpion, RWD, mid engined, K turbo.

I watched this car being built and liked it. When I saw it in the flesh, I liked it even more. So I have waited until it came up for sale and bought it.

As many people will know it was built by TerryG. Here's the link to the original build.

http://www.16vminiclub.com/showthrea...highlight=1993

Terry sold the car around 2 years ago to Callum who claims to have driven around 15,000 miles in it. He used it as a daily 95 mile commute!

I won the car via eBay and flew all the way to Lands End to collect it. It was a 400 mile drive home.

The advert read like this...

Rwd, mid engined, 1.8 16v k-series 135bhp, Mot 25th september 2017, drive away

1993 spi cooper shell.
Mgf modified subframes front n back.
Grooved n drilled disc brakes all round (fronts are vented).
Every bush on the rear ive changed to powerflex polyurethane.
Safety devices 6 piont roll cage modified to join in with the rear subframe mount.
Alarm/immobilizer/central locking + spare key and fob.
Beautiful stainless exhaust(raspy).
Cold air feed.
Momo leather seats.
Carbon fibre door cards.
Omp suede swheel.
New windscreen.
New valeo alternator.

Bad pionts.
Needs new boot lid due to rust.
Rusty rear bumper and front one needs the brackets looking at.
Rear arches are stone chipped and one has minor split.
Body is rough in places, still presentable but certainly no show pony.
The car doesn't feel quite as tight as it should, i think it needs new TCAs.
Passenger wiper not working.
Drivers door doesn't unlock off the fob.
Aux belt is abit noisy at times.

Drives very nicely. Cruises at 70mph. Its been my daily driver for the past 2 n a half years and has been a pleasure to own. She will be greatly missed but its time for me to move on. I may px/swap under ebay rules of course for a drift car or sumthing fun and Rwd.

Still on log book as 1275cc upto new owner to change.

Car is located in st just, cornwall. NOT LISKEARD ebay wont let me change it. Winning bidder must contact me when the auction ends immediately. Car must be collected within 7 days of auction ending. Car is advertised elsewhere therefore i reserve the right to remove from the auction at anytime.

Ive been honest in my description of the car so's not to waste anyones time so please do not waste mine. Only bid if you've read the full description and intend on paying the full amount.

Feel free to message me. Best of luck Callum
On 24-Mar-17 at 10:16:30 GMT, seller added the following information:
Forgot a few things. Apologies.

Wipers are on a switch on the dash, not the stalk.
Temp guage itself is actually an oil temp guage.
Speaker for the radio stopped working a few days ago.
Fuel guage reads incorrectly, 1/4 tank=empty

When I arrived and saw the car in the flesh, I was a bit disappointed. It's quite obvious the pics were taken a long time ago and as it had done the long commute over Winter lots of areas need attention. Callum drove the car to his home and we swapped paperwork. Once I set off home I soon realised there were loads of faults. The brakes were terrible. Pedal travelled almost to the floor before they worked. The left wiper was wobbling when driving so stopped to check it and it wasn't connected to the gear. When it got dark, I put the lights on. The left one worked but shone in approaching drivers eyes so I got flashed about 100 times on route back. The right light only lit very dimly.

On route back I decided to meet Shaun (ardonfast). He was working in a pub so called in. When we were driving back to his, at around 70mph the bonnet flew open as the hinge snapped. We had nothing to secure it so Shaun held it down by hanging out of the window!

https://www.facebook.com/bunker.shau...2338586780072/

After a night at Shaun's, I drove home the next morning. The car drives really well. Straight and true. Cruises at 3500rpm at 70 and having 15" wheels means you don't feel every bump like in a normal Mini. It drove the 500 miles home and never missed a beat. The 1.8 engine is the early distributor type and is claimed by Callum to be 135bhp. I don't think it can be. It's just not that quick! There is no way you can even spin the wheels. It pulls from low down in the rev range but looses oomph at around 5000. Not like my VVC!

The brakes were bad when I picked it up. The pedal reached the floor and would slow the car but nothing like normal. Living in the Pennines means loads of hills. Scary stuff.

When I got home, I was tired and disappointed so have left it over a month without touching anything.

So now lets start putting some faults right. The brakes were still full of fluid and bleeding the rears seems to have sorted them out. The car has the MG F rear disc setup with grooved discs. Fronts are the 240mm vented discs also grooved but drilled as well.

Removed the bonnet and hinges. Those stupid bolts under the scuttle. I have a spare hinge so have taken them both off and painted them ready to refit.

The ad said the wipers were on a switch on the dash. This is a bodged up idea. Basically he's wired a power supply to the slow speed on the motor. No fast speed and doesn't park. So I removed the motor and found this. No wonder it didn't work...

Only one washer jet worked so checked this out too...

Checked the headlights. Right side was dim so checked the earth. It was fine so removed the lamp and found this. It has been on fire.

Replaced the connector for one I had as spare and now works fine. Set the lamp up correctly in it's bowl and checked it's level now.

Left side I thought would of been easier but wasn't. Removed the lamp and found this. Also been on fire.

So swapped another connector but this one didn't have a thick earth wire. Ended up changing this as it cannot be right running through a thin one. The spring retainer was on the dash hence someone had screwed both the adjusters fully in making the light shine up to the sky. Fitted the spring correctly and set the adjusters and now works as it should.

Some photo's of the "to do" list.

Boot falls off when open due to rust.

God knows what this is all about but I don't like it at all. All green or red wires...

Cardboard dash.

Both bumpers need replacing. Front was held on with a cable tie and rattled all the way home.

So what's the plan?

Plan is remove the 1.8 engine and C4 gearbox and fit a 1.8 K turbo with C6 gearbox. This needs the MEMS 3 ECU and the turbo remap. So I have decided the entire wiring loom is terrible so have bought a full car loom from a TF inc the ECU set and fuse boxes. A bargain at 58 the lot...

I did originally want to swap the wheels to 13" ones but have changed my mind and gone the opposite. I have bought the AP 4 pots from a TF 160 with 304mm discs, 99. These might be a bit keen with the servo so might swap back to the yellow tag master. I have bought the Trophy 11 spoke wheels too, 75 a set of 4.

Both Steve and Dan have offered me boot lid.

Need a pair of bumpers.

Feeling a bit happier about things moving along now. I did arrange to buy a turbo engine but the seller never contacted me after I had arranged a price so dunno about that yet.

Last edited by AGoaty; 15-05-2017 at 12:32 PM.
AGoaty is offline   Reply With Quote